Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless man found dead in temple bar

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/homeless-man-in-his-50s-found-dead-in-temple-bar-1.2060273
    A Garda investigation has begun after the body of a man was found on the street in the Temple Bar area of Dublin’s south inner city.
    Emergency services were alerted to the scene on Cow’s Lane just off Dame Street at 7am, and the man was pronounced dead shortly after 9am.
    While the inquiry has only just begun, gardai believe the dead man was homeless and they do not suspect foul play in his death.
    “We will need the results of the post-mortem before we can be absolutely sure on the cause of death, but it looks like he died, rather than being killed,” said one source.
    Gardai believe they have identified the man and were this morning making checks to confirm the information they have, which suggests he was a homeless man in his 50s originally from Poland.

Poor sod. Hope they find his family to tell them. Wonder why he discharged himself if he was sick? Either way, more needs to be done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some people just cannot or don't want to be helped ,
    There's a massive campaign currently on going to help homeless people get shelter over the last few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Kay Burley is on a flight from Paris to Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tugboats wrote: »
    Kay Burley is on a flight from Paris to Dublin
    No she is not.
    She's shopping at Christian Louboutin for new heels, then off for a quick dejeuner before appearing live again with discombobulated Parisians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Gatling wrote: »
    There's a massive campaign currently on going to help homeless people get shelter over the last few weeks

Obviously you know more about him - and his mental state - than is mentioned in the article then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

anncoates wrote: »
    Obviously you know more about him - and his mental state - than is mentioned in the article then?

No did I say that

No certainly didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some homeless people feel safer on the streets,that says a lot about how rough the shelters are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

cloud493 wrote: »

Either way, more needs to be done.

Meaningless platitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's not getting as much hullabaloo as the one that happened a few weeks ago

Is that because he's not Irish - or because it didn't happen in front of The Dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Until we open a more wet hostels with security this is going to keep happening, the thing is nobody wants to live beside a wet hostel, that isn't a shameful position as if we can understand that some people sleep on the streets because they find some of the hostels to dangerous because of some of the occupants we can't then turn around and say its parish pump politics when people don't want said dangerous people in their immediate area.

Meaningless platitude.

Whereas your post has just solved homelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anncoates wrote: »

I get what you mean, but many homeless do choose to stay out. This man knew where to go for help and decided not to. Maybe folk do not know just how many resources there are for homeless folk? See this list for Dublin alone...http://www.coolmine.ie/about/links/homeless-services and new hostels have been opened in the last month. They get habituated, especially if they have serious addiction issues.

Until we open a more wet hostels with security this is going to keep happening, the thing is nobody wants to live beside a wet hostel, that isn't a shameful position as if we can understand that some people sleep on the streets because they find some of the hostels to dangerous because of some of the occupants we can't then turn around and say its parish pump politics when people don't want said dangerous people in their immediate area.

http://www.coolmine.ie/about/links/homeless-services

He could be mentally ill, who knows. Or attacked. Or afraid of the hostel (with due cause by the sounds of things ).

Even though it's AH, sometimes every tragedy doesn't automatically call for a sermonizing assignment of personal blame, as amazing as that seems.

Gatling wrote: »

Sadly true as those who work with the homeless know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Graces7 wrote: »

I think its 2/3 that will accept alcoholics and drug users on the premises, I don't know how easy they are to access though since I think some of them are long term/referal set ups aren't they?

I think its 2/3 that will accept alcoholics and drug users on the premises, I don't know how easy they are to access though since I think some of them are long term/referal set ups aren't they?

Not sure. My family have worked with the homeless for decades in many countries and we are keeping a weather eye here and putting food to the Salvation Army rather than the wasted cost of setting up a new group. We know than men especially can become habituated and cannot be housed apart from the odd night or in very severe weather so we tend to them on the streets; sleeping bags etc.Bales of hay even can save a life.. sometimes folk seem to think all the homeless are saints and martyrs.. they have terrible problems and cannot always be helped with all the resources in the world and all the good will. The man who died outside the Dail was well known to shelters and had chosen to leave.he had been homeless since he was 18. n All we can ever do is try and try and there have been huge efforts this last while in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I do donate to charity (The SVP) and im also looking into volunteering (for the record) so not meaningless platitude no.

Advertisement