Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Ireland handle a Terrorist Attack

Options
  • 09-01-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭

I'll dare take the serious response.

For a start, over the last 5 years, we have really stepped our game up in the European intelligence community. We are part of a European network of information sharing relating to a number of things. One of the big ones is migration, foreign nationals coming in and out of the country.

The liberals amoung us might freak their **** no doubt, considering we had a heart attack with handing over a PPS number, but a fundamental of state security is being able to properly control your borders, passively and if needed aggressively. So we share information with other countries and they share with us, it might be suspicious travel movements, it might be suspicious individuals, etc etc.

That forms part of the preventative.

In terms of the reactive? As much as people goad and laud the Guardaí, they are a relatively highly trained police force. The good relationship they had with communities, albeit tarnished in the last 18 months, would probably still hold steady. A big part of the aftermath is how society interacts with authorities.

there would be areas isolated and blocked off for searches, manhunts, restriction of movement of people, freeing up infrastructural networks for emergency services and first responders etc. I'd think that as a nation of people, we would be pretty cooperative with the likes of the Guardai if this ever happened.

And not to mention, as a nation not directly involved in foreign conflict, we have a highly trained defense force, with at any time a relatively large amount of personal based domestically. Not to mention, one of the most highly regarded special forces, in the world.

I guess you'd never know unless it happened. But if it did, I would rest assured it wouldn't be a load of bumbling TD's having a talking shop in the Dail. There would be legislative procedures in an event like this, where defined individuals ( potentially minister for defence? ) would turn into our commander and chief of sorts, and be a point of orchestration through a state emergency like that.

Then again, our minister for health is trying to take action to resolve an E&D crisis, and not even 12 hours had past from his announcement of actions, and the unions were on radios giving it loads about how "nope, that isnt happening, our staff aint having that".
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement