Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persistent knocking on front door?

• 09-01-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Not sure what forum. At midnight my dog alerted me to continuous knocking on our front door (rural area) I went with her and asked through the door "who was there?" No reply. I went back upstairs and saw 2 people going down the path muttering. They were def dodgy. Went back to parents and asked them should I ring the guards. They said no. I think we should have as a) they could be back b) they could repeat this at another house c) have a genuine reason (don't think latter as they did not answer). Am I right to be bothered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

If you think they are dodgy call the guards. Your taxes at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Yeah for sure. Who in their right mind would be knocking at someones door at 12am?? fair enough, if they are broke down or seomthing…but seems awful suspicious..and the fact its in a rural area. Somethings not right. TBH, i probably would have sent the dog out after them..just let them know that they have been spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

They def saw her but don't think she would have deterred them. I live on a farm and we see a lot of "characters". I was about to open the door but now glad I didn't.

Yeah I can only imagine…some people looking for something for nothing…
    Nope, I wouldn't open the door, for sure and definitely not that late.

They weren't lamping or anything, were they? Though I know this an "excuse" for some people :/

berger89 wrote: »
    Yeah I can only imagine…some people looking for something for nothing…
    Nope, I wouldn't open the door, for sure and definitely not that late.

They weren't lamping or anything, were they? Though I know this an "excuse" for some people :/
    We often have lampers but they keep a low profile & try to hide their presence.

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    We often have lampers but they keep a low profile & try to hide their presence.
    My brother (who lives nearby) was thinking it might be some drunks who crashed their car and are evading the guards (that's happened before) I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

No harm calling the gardai to let them know there are strangers knocking on doors at midnight. They can take a drive out with lights on to scare off anyone dodgy or help anyone in trouble.

easy for me to say but try not to frighten yourself! make sure your dog is downstairs or near the door (with a hurl ;) )

has it been a few nights or just one night?

My little pooch is up with me! Could not leave her there! We haven't had "callers" that didn't answer before. Hope it's just a once off. Our brother used to live with us (sister & elderly parents). I would have more peace of mind with him there tbh. Still, will try to sleep. Ye've been good listeners. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

This happened me years ago (10+) when I was doing some overnight babysitting. Knocking at the door around midnight. I opened front door but left porch door closed. Man there saying he was looking for his dog. Told him I hadn't seen it and closed the door. When I went back inside I took a sneaky look out the window to see if he had left and I could see someone creeping back up the driveway! I legged it locking all the doors, called the guards and hid upstairs with a knife in my hand. Guards eventually came, had a look around outside and said they thought it was probably a local man they knew who was intellectually disabled. Was never as scared in my life, before or since and slept(very little) with a knife under my pillow that night. Jaysus even the thoughts of it now(shudder) :-/
    Better to be safe than sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a game cam, preferably one without any lights on it, and that don't flash. Examples; http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3413551

Another thing to consider is a lowlight camera that you can hook up to a VCR. Have one pointing away from the house, and one pointing towards the front door so that you can record their face as they walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Keep your phone nearby and call 999 if you hear anything.

Tomorrow, see if you can get motion lights installed - they're not expensive.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/action/searchsite/outdoor%20lights%20PIR

Dodgy characters don't like bright lights.

I'm sure you'll be fine - stay safe and hope you get some sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

If you feel its suspect and there's any repeat, open an upstairs window and call down to ask who they are. If you've a strong flash light you could shine it down. By the sound of it though they won't be back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

honeybear wrote: »
    Not sure what forum.

MOD: Not this one. Please read charter. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement