Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are peoples thoughts on Colaiste Chiarain?

Options
  • 09-01-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've always wondered what peoples opinions were on Colaiste Chiarain. This is one school that you always hear come up time and time again. I've heard a lot of horror stories about their teachers and the past principal and surely I'm not the only one?

Comments

Did they ever get their proper school or is it still prefab city?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Still looks like a concentration camp, no new building just prefabs after prefabs behind a chain link 6ft fence and a run down main building. I feel so sorry for the young people who have to be educated in such an awful place.
    Not a whole lot of positive things to say about their experiences or my own experiences I'm afraid ( I work in the area). I don't know anything about the new principal, here's hoping he/she will get the new school built . The school has had and still does have some fantastic teachers, and equally I don't envy the staff working in such a poor environment. Disgraceful that after so much time has passed that this issue is still ongoing. Is a running joke in Croom at this stage.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I've always wondered what peoples opinions were on Colaiste Chiarain. This is one school that you always hear come up time and time again. I've heard a lot of horror stories about their teachers and the past principal and surely I'm not the only one?

Well, it seems the past principal won't be back . Even though the current Principal is referred to as an 'Acting Principal' this seems to stem from the fact that he had retired from his job in Ennis and is only standing in until a replacement is hired.
    Did they ever get their proper school or is it still prefab city?

There was a mess-up with the planning. Apparently the proposed site would need to be rezoned, amongst other issues (objections,etc.)

Just an observation. But the Teachers certainly seem a lot happier and more enthusiastic this year.......some are even slightly more relaxed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's an absolute disgrace that a school in Croom is allowed become 1 of the biggest schoold in the country.
    They've recently got planning to build a new one there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kids in the city can't get into the city schools alot going out here
    Laurel Hill and Ard Scoil closed shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

bigpink wrote: »
    Kids in the city can't get into the city schools alot going out here
    Laurel Hill and Ard Scoil closed shops

Very poor planning from last Government. At least a new secondary school has got the go ahead for Raheen, will take a while to get it ready though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Rightwing wrote: »
    Very poor planning from last Government. At least a new secondary school has got the go ahead for Raheen, will take a while to get it ready though.

I didn't see anything about a new secondary school for Raheen, when was that announced. I thought it was just 2 primaries schools going into the Mungret Colelge grounds which never made sense to me anyway cos with the closing of Scoil Carmel and Salesians and the growing population, secondary places are critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

there is absolutely no secondary school being built in Raheen / Mungret. No sanction from dept of Ed, no planning.
    That will take many elections to fight over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's an absolute disgrace that a school in Croom is allowed become 1 of the biggest schoold in the country.
    They've recently got planning to build a new one there.

They were refused planning by An Bord Pleanala;
    http://www.live95fm.ie/News-Sport/Article/?ItemID=19968

Don't think so;
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/questions-raised-over-the-suitability-of-croom-school-site-1-6321350

This is the only new school that may go ahead in Raheen.
    There is mention of some Parents looking for a new secondary School but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

Coláiste Chiaráin has crap infrastructure, but really brilliant teachers, no bullying tolerated, great range of subjects, good leaving cert results. Loads going on for transition year. I have relatives going to school there who are very happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement