Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the market like?? Mercedes

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I have been offered a 2003 s320 cdi mercedes.

My biggest worry is when i go to sell the car

Is there a market in Ireland for these cars.?

Also mileage is about 170k miles. Is that a lot on one of these engines or are they able to do a lot more.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car is 12 years old, 170k miles is not excessive by any means for a diesel car of that age. I'd concentrate more on service history, if a car like that was maintained on a shoe string budget or neglected then it could hurt your wallet. Also watch the electrics, they are very complicated being a high end executive saloon and electrics were a weak points on Mercs of that vintage.

The annual motor tax will make it's resale appeal very low though in Ireland, probably more viable to export it and claim back some VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

so you are going to keep it for a few years and sell it? these cars are worth virtually nothing now, resale value would be the least of my concerns. Motor tax and maintenance on that car at that age would be the concerns...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

richardp91 wrote: »
    Also mileage is about 170k miles. Is that a lot on one of these engines or are they able to do a lot more.?
    These engines have timing chains and given the mileage, you could be looking at a time bomb really. If this was serviced regularly with the correct oil, it might have life left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

richardp91 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been offered a 2003 s320 cdi mercedes.

My biggest worry is when i go to sell the car

Your biggest worry should be how much it costs you to keep on the road.

It hardly has too far left to fall in terms of depreciation.

These were very expensive cars when new. They will always have running costs to match, regardless of how cheap they are to buy.

Advertisement