Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in NI Reg down South

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I'm from the North and currently drive a NI Reg car down in Dublin/Kildare however I'm due to get married this year and it looks certain I will settle in Dublin/Kildare area and eventually buy a house this year.

I now realise I can't carry on driving my NI Reg car down here, I had planned to buy a new car this year anyway so I am trying to find out if it's likely any garage will accept my car as a trade in? I am aware they would need to do VRT
    Does it make more sense for me to do it before the trade in?

I Currently drive a 2008 Astra. See similar cars on Carzone with similar mileage (90,000m) selling for €6-7k if that helps people further

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not trade it in up north then vrt the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why not trade it in up north then vrt the new car?

That was my original idea and probably the more sensible route, however I just wanted info on the other option

Tbh, a vauxhall wouldn't be that popular down here - even if it had ROI plates. Nobody's gonna give you top dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

VRT is free on transfer of residence.

Aye but you need to keep the car for a minimum time afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aye but you need to keep the car for a minimum time afterwards.

Then that's the sensible option, keep it for the year. Then trade it in.

or if you aren't getting married until later in the year, buy another NI one (not a Vauxhall) at least 6 months before and import that one on change of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

Very interesting that VRT is free with transfer of residence that's gives me something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Most definitely buy in the UK or NI, and bring it with you. The saving and spec alone available compared to the RoI is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd sell it up north and buy with cash here rather than trying to trade in a 7 year old not-that-popular-here car with NI plates, MPH speedo etc.

Be prepared to pay a lot more in motor tax than you probably do now too. If you're thinking of changing the license as well then if you've been stopped/fined for anything the points could be applied to your ROI license as well

Advertisement