Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testosterone Therapy for fatigue

Options
  • 08-01-2015 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi, I put this in another forum but didn't get many responses, so I figure maybe someone on here might be in the know?

Pasted:

Hormone therapy to deal with chronic fatigue - good doctor in the West?

So I've been experiencing chronic fatigue for years.

I've gone through the mill in terms of anti-depressant medications, anti-anxieties, talk therapy, a host of different diagnosis.

Then, I'm posting here a little while ago, and a poster recommends I listen to a Dr Mark Gordon,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxPxFiOIKc

who talks about how hormone deficiency brought about by head trauma can lead to these types of symptoms that are associated with depression, such as energy loss, anxiety, insomnia, prone to irrational anger etc.

Thus, the treatment being, hormone replacement therapy.

Only, I went to my local hospital yesterday, and they point blank refused to do a testosterone level check.

From other posters, I'm seeing this is a trend, in that this type of therapy is not particularly well known yet, so it seems a lot of doctors are loath to prescribe it.

What I'm wondering is, is anyone familiar with a doctor in Ireland, preferably in the west (but I will travel if I have to), that is competent in prescribing hormone replacement therapy.

Like the dude in the video, I've been through the mill with all the other treatments, and as with him, they yielded absolutely no positive outcome.

I'm keen to try this, or at the very least get me hormone levels checked.

I understand they should be at about 600ng/dl
    Can be as low as 300, as high as 900, but that's the range generally.

So if anyone can recommend me a doctor, via pm or otherwise, that'd be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Any gp will test your hormone levels. Its not an unusual practice in older males or females.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Would any GP be in a position to prescribe testosterone shots and the necessary oestrogen blockers etc?

Or would I need to be referred to an endocrinologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I could be wrong on this but I believe the oestrogen blockers are needed when a large amount of testosterone is being used. This would be much higher than the normal range that a doctor would prescribe.

The surplus of test leads to the over productions of oestrogen. This is my bro science here so open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I have suffered with cfs for years and would be desperate to try anything that could help me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would any GP be in a position to prescribe testosterone shots and the necessary oestrogen blockers etc?

Or would I need to be referred to an endocrinologist?

A doctor can treat it, but they would probably be reluctant to do so on the back of one blood test showing low T levels. One test is almost meaningless as levels fluctuate. They'd probably want 3 bloods tests 1-3 months apart to be sure there's a low trend.
    They may refer to an endo, but they'd probably want the same.

If all three were low, I donl't see how they could deny treatment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement