Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taisce's five principles for managing one-off housing

Options
  • 08-01-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

According to An Taisce, the recent report of the Commission for Economic Development of Rural Areas (CEDRA) completely sidesteps the fundamental importance of settlement patterns in achieving balanced regional development.

With the upcoming review of the National Spatial Strategy 2002-2020, An Taisce has published five principles for sustainable rural settlement:

1. A strong network of thriving towns and villages is fundamental for rural development.

2. Scattered housing in unserviced locations should be restricted and instead directed to rural towns and villages.

3. Implement a ‘Serviced Sites Initiative’ in rural towns and villages as an alternative to scattered housing.

4. Rural Ireland is a critical resource for a post-carbon world.

5. Manage the economic, social and environmental legacy of scattered housing.

An Taisce says none of these principles are radical.

https://www.agriland.ie/news/tasice-wants-government-restrict-one-off-housing/

Simple steps for protection of rural Ireland? This seems to make perfect sense to me as a decent framework for protecting rural lifestyles without stretching resources over vast scattered development.

Local Government should adobt An Taisce's proposals 27 votes

Yes, one-off housing needs controls
    0% 0 votes
    No, present planning objectives are fine
    74% 20 votes
    Build what you want, where you want
    25% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Common sense that should have been the status quo for generations.

But the damage is already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Has anyone seen my horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Has anyone seen my horse?

There was me thinking that as a rural dweller and advocate for rural lifestyles you would have an opinion to share. Guess not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's no real "rural" Ireland left because of ribbon development.

What's the furthest distance you can be from a house? If you can walk to it, it's disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

You know your living in rural Ireland when its still quicker to send stuff by post than by e-mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

An Taisce's five principles for managing one-off housing
    Quote:
    According to An Taisce, the recent report of the Commission for Economic Development of Rural Areas (CEDRA) completely sidesteps the fundamental importance of settlement patterns in achieving balanced regional development.

With the upcoming review of the National Spatial Strategy 2002-2020, An Taisce has published five principles for sustainable rural settlement:

1. A strong network of thriving towns and villages is fundamental for rural development.

2. Scattered housing in unserviced locations should be restricted and instead directed to rural towns and villages.

3. Implement a ‘Serviced Sites Initiative’ in rural towns and villages as an alternative to scattered housing.

4. Rural Ireland is a critical resource for a post-carbon world.

5. Manage the economic, social and environmental legacy of scattered housing.

An Taisce says none of these principles are radical.

MadsL wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/news/tasice-wants-government-restrict-one-off-housing/

Simple steps for protection of rural Ireland? This seems to make perfect sense to me as a decent framework for protecting rural lifestyles without stretching resources over vast scattered development.

Step 6. Purchase De Lorean.

Step 7. Eighty eight miles per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As long as people aren't stopped building a house on their parents land.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

An taisce are serial objectors. If they had their way nothing would be built imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Something something it's the pylons ruining my one offs view.....

An taisce are serial objectors. If they had their way nothing would be built imo.

I don't have the statistics at hand but iirc An Taisce only comment (as a proscribed body in planning law) on some 3% of applications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I did some voluntary work for an Taisce around a decade ago, in the middle of boom time. I was mostly on the lookout for planning applications for out of place or crazy developments, or developments that were happening on historic or listed buildings and as you can imagine there was plenty.

Such as a 12 Story Hotel clad in black granite located within 100m of one of the countries most beautiful cathedrals, and within 200m of an incredibly well preseved Elizabethan fort with stunning view over the city, this hotel would of taken a huge amount away from the view, and would of been surrounded by mostly 1 storey dwellings.

In that sort of situation i am glad An Taisce is there, to make objections.

With regards to these proposals i agree with them completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

MadsL wrote: »
    There was me thinking that as a rural dweller and advocate for rural lifestyles you would have an opinion to share. Guess not. :confused:
    There was me thinking that you were a bright fella and realised that there was more to some of my inane ramblings than meets the eye.

I had a horse in my stable, but I must have left the door off the latch, and when I looked out this morning it was gone. And would you believe it? There was a man around today selling

Better?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I did some voluntary work for an Taisce around a decade ago, in the middle of boom time. I was mostly on the lookout for planning applications for out of place or crazy developments, or developments that were happening on historic or listed buildings and as you can imagine there was plenty.
    "Voluntary work"?

You mean you basically roamed the countryside -- maybe in a cape? -- looking for planning notices, or scanned the local newspapers, to tattle on some poor bollox trying to build a rural home in the way Irish people have been doing for centuries?

I've heard of some niche hobbies before, but this really takes the biscuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

Ah.....you forget political people's interference for their friends fancy house.
    A friend of mine had an offer on a site pending planning etc, he got refused over so many reasons, when he changed plans to comply, they changed reasons again, eventually he gave up.
    A county councillors brother bought it and built a grand house on it, with style that my friend was refused with, money and power corrupts all good plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As someone originally from Donegal, if they wont let me get hard over the idea of living as far from my neighbours as possible how am I supposed to live?

I can hardly complain about no water supply or broadband as I look at my neighbour's new car through a telescope if I can get both and see him from my window.

Hobbits will be unemployed as they are no longer needed to head on great journeys to get milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

This. Complete Loonies, Objectors, Whingers, Naysayers Society would be a better name for them, or Clowns for short.

Such as a 12 Story Hotel clad in black granite located within 100m of one of the countries most beautiful cathedrals, and within 200m of an incredibly well preseved Elizabethan fort with stunning view over the city, this hotel would of taken a huge amount away from the view, and would of been surrounded by mostly 1 storey dwellings.

In that sort of situation i am glad An Taisce is there, to make objections.

With regards to these proposals i agree with them completely.

Pity you didn't spot this...ruined the site. It's near Kinvarra Co Galway.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/644161/334133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Objections only work if they comply with the law, i.e. the application didn't comply with the law.

Would you prefer Charlie Haughey and Ray Burke were back in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DoomZ wrote: »

Whereabouts is that in Kinvara? Was it discussed on Boards already or do you have a Google Maps link please?

Thargor wrote: »
    Whereabouts is that in Kinvara? Was it discussed on Boards already or do you have a Google Maps link please?

My bad... :-/
    Sorry...Its on the north side of Ballyvaughan Co. Clare...not kinvarra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha thought I was going mad, thanks, an abomination alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

No, I hate living on top of other people. Listening to their house alarms and stupid screaming kids. Having to breathe the stink of their cars and burning household waste. Having good-for-nothing scumbags walking down my road, gawking at my house. But then even if you do move to the back of beyond, you still have scumbags roaming the countryside looking for people to tie up and beat.
    Talk to me about living in a town after you've sorted out the whole forced sterilisation thing.

conorh91 wrote: »
    "Voluntary work"?

You mean you basically roamed the countryside -- maybe in a cape? -- looking for planning notices, or scanned the local newspapers, to tattle on some poor bollox trying to build a rural home in the way Irish people have been doing for centuries?

Nice job mounting an attack without any details of what the work would possibly entail. You have jumped to many conclusions in your little fantasy that are very far from the reality of the work. As a previous poster has said, you cant object to anything that is ok within the confines of the development plan and the law. It would be a waste of money to object to everything.

1. It wasnt a hobby, i have far better things to do with my own free time. it was for a college course i was doing you needed to work with an organisation such as an Taisce once a week for a day.

To be fair it gave me a great insight into different city and county development plans and how the planning process works. It would be primarily be a case of going to the planning office with a list of large projects that needed to be checked out, the majority of which were fine or had minor objections, there was only a handful of major objections.

2. The people i was working with had no interest whatsoever in one off houses, the government policy was pretty clear cut on that and they didnt argue it at a local level. They were more concerned with large scale developments such as hotels, listed building, historic sites or in the immediate vicinity of historic sites.

3. You obviously have a vendetta against An Taisce and thats fine, i am not affiliated with them, i am more than aware that there are some people elsewhere in the organisation that have made one off housing their sole mission much to he dismay of others who feel the need to tackle it at a policy level.

On a personal level i do think the one off housing along roadways for everyone needs to stop, to me the only solution is communities of serviced sites where you can each build on your own little plot, i have been in many of these estates in Germany and the result is usually very good.

DoomZ wrote: »
    Was based down south only, and that is pretty bad alright. An Taisce simply does not have the resources or manpower to check every application. Unless its a decent sized development or someone brings it to their attention they simply wont have the time to check every applicaiton out. This was especially true in the Boom days when there was vast amounts of applications going in every week.

conorh91 wrote: »
    "Voluntary work"?

Tattle? The planning process is meant to be a public and transparent process isn't it?
    This. Complete Loonies, Objectors, Whingers, Naysayers Society would be a better name for them, or Clowns for short.

Clowns who saved the taxpayer three quarters of a billion euro.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/an-taisce-appeals-against-reckless-planning-saved-taxpayers-750m-190931.html

Advertisement