Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify insect (poss fleas)

Options
  • 08-01-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm trying to identify an insect which appears on occasion in our living room. They look like fleas of some kind but may not be. Here's the deal:

We don't have any pets but it looks like a typical flea picture

Usually only appears indoors when it's raining so I'm convinced theyre not originating inside.
    They're brown and up to 1cm long so you can see them across the room

Oddly enough, once they're indoors, they die within a few mins of coming in.

They leap once or twice very small distances and then die. In the morning after the rain, we find about 3 /4 of them.

Is there any online resource to identify what they are or where they might be originating? Nothing outside apart from a patio and some plants. Neighbors don't have pets either.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If they're fleas they won't be 1cm long! Could be springtails although they only tend to be 5-6mm long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Stick up a pic if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Just googled springtails. They're close but not as flea looking as my critters. Will try get a pic but I don't think my account allows for adding images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Someone on the nature and bird watching forum might have a better idea of what it is as there are a few knowledgeable people on this subject over there. Doesn't sound like anything i can think of size wise and by description.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Finally - here's a photo

I only see them when it's wet outside. The seem to be attracted to the light and heat but they die very shortly after entering the house.

I've no idea how they get it but they're definitely not originating in the house.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Garden fleas? I actually think that could be just another name for springtails now that I check.

Really looks like a springtail to me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I'd say Springtails, too.

The ones in my garden are black, very flea-like in their jumping manner, but so much bigger than fleas. They seem to live under every plant pot or anything left on the ground undisturbed for a while, so they need darkness and dampness to survive which would explain the fact that they die when they are indoors.

If they're springtails they are not *attracted* to the light, it should be the opposite, in fact.
    Could they be getting into the house on the underside of plant pots... or shoes... ?

Advertisement