Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to get my car back on the road

Options
  • 08-01-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

I am currently trying to get my car back on the road. I declared it off the road January 2014.Since then the Nct due date has past in August 2014. I didn't receive a letter about the nct

What do I do first in terms of taxing, insuring and ncting, it? I can't insure it without tax, I can't tax it with our Nct and I can't nct it because it's off the road. Who do I go to first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

stick it on a flatbed..tax it, do the nct..then get the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

My experience: Tax it and use your old insurance policy nr of if you have a current one (not sure about the legal status though).
    Insure it as soon as you plan to drive, some companies don't need the car NCT for it.
    Then NCT.

The best bet would be to let a mechanic drive the car to the NCT first (if he has a mechanics insurance) because it won't need tax, insurance etc then.

You have the car NCT'd first and go from there, I think that's almost the best bet these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

deadybai wrote: »
    What do I do first in terms of taxing, insuring and ncting, it? I can't insure it without tax, I can't tax it with our Nct and I can't nct it because it's off the road. Who do I go to first?

So much wrongness! :D

Firstly, you can insure it without tax.

Secondly, you can tax it without the NCT.

Thirdly, you can NCT it while its declared off the road - driving to the NCT centere is the only exception for use of a car declared off the road. (that, and driving to a mechanic to repair a car declared off the road as a result of an NCT fail). Quite obviously, it should be insured if you plan on driving over to an NCT centre.

Advertisement