Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POC Lids

Options
  • 08-01-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Quick question to the more educated out there. I learned to board back when it wasn't cool to wear a helmet :rolleyes:, and After years without one, the arrival of my first born has focused my mind and I've decided it's about time I started to wear one!

I'm also on the lookout for some new wrist guards (have always worn these) and gloves and have never liked having to put on gloves over wrist guards. I've stumbled across a brand called docmeter / flexmeter that combine the wristguard into the glove and found a site in the US that will throw in a free pair of these with any order over $100.

They have a POC helmet on their site that I like the look of and was wondering what you made of it:

http://www.allsportprotection.com/POC_Receptor_Bug_Tanner_Hall_Pro_Model_Ski_Helmet_p/poc0008.htm

Also if anyone has any experience with the docmeter gloves I'd love to know how you got on with them?

I was also wondering if the Snow and Rock shop out in Dundrum happens to carry POC helmets (they have them on the website) as I'd like to get an idea of the sizing (I've a big head!!) and what it will look like (again the big head!!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Only buy a helmet online if you have tried that brand on - it's fairly difficult to know which brand will fit your head - ie I can be a M in some brands and an XL in others based purely on how elongated/round the helmet shape is. You can probably get accurate measurements of the lid online but I would def try it on if I could - you dont want too much pressure on your forehead or too much lateral wiggleroom

I currently have 4 helmets (cycling, snowboarding, wakeboarding & longboarding) and think everyone should wear em. All of them are different brands - most comfortable for me was the Nutcase Helmets who had a stall in the Saturday markets in Marley Park

If S&R have it online, then there is a good chance they have it (or could get it in store)

Dakine also make gloves with built in wrist protectors

No personal experience with those brands..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Cheers granty!!

Appreciate the advice. I've worn helmets for various different sports (cycling, rock climing etc..) so I'm very aware of the different sizes of each of the brands. I've no intention of buying anything until I know it fits.

I gave S&R a ring and luckily it seems that they have a few of the POC in stock, so I'm going to take a spin out and see what they're like for size.

Thanks for the info on the Dakine gloves. I know Dakine is a very good brand, but what appealed to me about the flexmeter was that they were originally designed by a doctor in the Alps region who had first hand experince in wrist injuries from snowboarding. Also, if I can get a pair thrown in with a helmet they're even more attractive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

I have Level snowboard gloves with built-in wrist protection, they are really comfortable and easy to use, check out there tech.
    But there are not cheap...

well if you can try it on in S&R and are happy then go for the gloves/helmet

Its mad, I was looking at some photos from around 2008 and none of my mates were wearing helmets. Now everyone is. Partially due to it being compulsory in Kiltiernan for freestyle nights and most parks in Europe.

http://www.loveyourbrain.org/

adricky wrote: »
    I have Level snowboard gloves with built-in wrist protection, they are really comfortable and easy to use, check out there tech.
    But there are not cheap...

Hey Adricky. Had not heard of Level, but had heard of the biomex protection that they use. This is the other tech that I was interested in as it too was developed by another doctor from the French Alps. You're right though...they certainly aren't cheap :(
    granty1987 wrote: »
    well if you can try it on in S&R and are happy then go for the gloves/helmet

Its mad, I was looking at some photos from around 2008 and none of my mates were wearing helmets. Now everyone is. Partially due to it being compulsory in Kiltiernan for freestyle nights and most parks in Europe.

http://www.loveyourbrain.org/

Yeah it's crazy! I started boarding in 2004 and back then absolutely nobay bar racing types in onesies and kids wore helmets. It was very bizarre to see somebody wearing one.

Now it seems to be completely the opposite. It's a rarity to see eejits like me not wearing them!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Ive seen poc helmets in tk maxx limerick if its of any use. 70 euro i think ballpark

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Ive seen poc helmets in tk maxx limerick if its of any use. 70 euro i think ballpark

Limerick is a little far for me to go to get one, but thanks for the heads up. Might have a gander in the shops up here. To be honest I'm not stuck on the POC helmets, it was just that I thought a helmet with the gloves thrown in for about €165 all in wasn't too bad considering that the gloves alone can cost €60+ over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Limerick is a little far for me to go to get one, but thanks for the heads up. Might have a gander in the shops up here. To be honest I'm not stuck on the POC helmets, it was just that I thought a helmet with the gloves thrown in for about €165 all in wasn't too bad considering that the gloves alone can cost €60+ over here.

If they're coming from American via courier you'll probably get hit for tax (VAT I think) too, so factor that in.

cormee wrote: »
    If they're coming from American via courier you'll probably get hit for tax (VAT I think) too, so factor that in.

Yeah I had that factored in alright. So I went and dug up this VERY boring document from the Revenue Commissioners:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html

Basically it states that if you import something with an intrinsic value of more than €150 from outside the EU you are liable to customs duty. Its hard to figure out, but I think that a ski helmet attracts a rate of 2.7%. However the value of the helmet alone is US$150 so falls under this limit. That is of course if they except the stated value of the gloves being US$0 as they are free.

VAT is another story. At 23% the government are bending you over a table and due to budget cuts are forgoing the Vaseline! It would add about €38 to the overall price bringing it to over €200 for the lot. At this price it is still a good deal as it is still slightly cheaper for the 2 but not by much.

I'm still thinking about whether to risk it or not. It may get through without any charges as it will be sent via USPS and An Post I believe or then again it may not..... I'm still looking around anyway to see if there is anything better on offer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I had that factored in alright. So I went and dug up this VERY boring document from the Revenue Commissioners:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html

Basically it states that if you import something with an intrinsic value of more than €150 from outside the EU you are liable to customs duty. Its hard to figure out, but I think that a ski helmet attracts a rate of 2.7%. However the value of the helmet alone is US$150 so falls under this limit. That is of course if they except the stated value of the gloves being US$0 as they are free.

VAT is another story. At 23% the government are bending you over a table and due to budget cuts are forgoing the Vaseline! It would add about €38 to the overall price bringing it to over €200 for the lot. At this price it is still a good deal as it is still slightly cheaper for the 2 but not by much.

I'm still thinking about whether to risk it or not. It may get through without any charges as it will be sent via USPS and An Post I believe or then again it may not..... I'm still looking around anyway to see if there is anything better on offer.

They will charge VAT on the helmet and the delivery cost. Who ever delivers it will charge you a handling fee and you will be charged VAT on the handling fee. If the seller doesn't put a shipping cost on the invoice customs add one and charge you the vat on that as well.

So real world example. I bought an item from the US for $99 delivered. My customs bill at this end ended up being €39.39 on an €75 item. They revalued my item up to €113 (adding in assumed shipping cost) when they charged VAT. So it was VAT 26.17 + 10.75 handling fee +2.47 VAT on the handling fee...

Also UPS are by far the worst for screwing on the handling fee BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Rew wrote: »
    They will charge VAT on the helmet and the delivery cost. Who ever delivers it will charge you a handling fee and you will be charged VAT on the handling fee. If the seller doesn't put a shipping cost on the invoice customs add one and charge you the vat on that as well.

So real world example. I bought an item from the US for $99 delivered. My customs bill at this end ended up being €39.39 on an €75 item. They revalued my item up to €113 (adding in assumed shipping cost) when they charged VAT. So it was VAT 26.17 + 10.75 handling fee +2.47 VAT on the handling fee...

Also UPS are by far the worst for screwing on the handling fee BTW.

*also* if you aren't in when they deliver it they won't drop it in to your neighbour (as the extra fees are required) so you'll probably end up having to drive to some industrial estate near the airport to collect it.

At this stage I don't even consider buying from the USA, it's the EU only. You'll pay a little extra on the base price but you won't have to worry about all the extras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cormee wrote: »
    *also* if you aren't in when they deliver it they won't drop it in to your neighbour (as the extra fees are required) so you'll probably end up having to drive to some industrial estate near the airport to collect it.

At this stage I don't even consider buying from the USA, it's the EU only. You'll pay a little extra on the base price but you won't have to worry about all the extras.

UPS want cash with exact change ready at the door without prior notice or they wont give the package (CC not an option). You can ring their office and pay via CC and they will deliver it another day.

Fedex is invoiced me about 2/3 weeks after it was delivered which was a surprise but at least not as ****ty as UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rew wrote: »
    UPS want cash with exact change ready at the door without prior notice
    Thats absurd.

Lads, thanks for all the replies and help. Customs definitely is a pain in the ass alright.

Decided against the US option and bought a new lid and matching goggles from this place in Germany:

http://www.3s-ski.de/anon-by-burton-nelson-niall-snowboardhelm-schwarz/

http://www.3s-ski.de/anon-by-burton-m2-landvik-goggle-skibrille-landvik-pro-schwarz/

If you don't like these or have had problems with them please don't tell me coz I'm all excited with my new gear and only two weeks to go til I get to use them. :D:D Hopefully they'll get here next week

good shout - at least you shouldn't have to worry about the Gaper Gap with that Anon set up

Now the question is - goggle strap over or under the helmet?!

granty1987 wrote: »
    good shout - at least you shouldn't have to worry about the Gaper Gap with that Anon set up

Now the question is - goggle strap over or under the helmet?!

Ha ha! That's exactly the argument I used with the missus to get to buy new goggles. She was having none of it. In the end figured its easier to get forgiveness than permission!! :D

Have no idea what way I'll wear these. Like I said, it's the first time wearing one so I'm open to opinions and suggestions :)

Advertisement