Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multicentre Gift Card

Options
  • 08-01-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I received a number of multicentre gift cards for Christmas which state they are valid for Merchants Quay and Mahon Point but does anyone know if they will work for Argos in Mahon?

I've tried calling a number of times to no avail but don't want to waste a trip out.

If anyone knows, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I always thought they were good at answering the phones there.. Oh I cant say for defo but I am nearly certain they do. I remember getting one and because Argo and all of the shops are seen as a centre it was accepted..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Milly33 wrote: »
    I always thought they were good at answering the phones there.. Oh I cant say for defo but I am nearly certain they do. I remember getting one and because Argo and all of the shops are seen as a centre it was accepted..

I'm also fairly certain they do - all those shops in the industrial park are counted for with that gift card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Knew It they are very good there, I just called and they picked up straight away and yes we were right they do accept them Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

If I'm not mistaken, those Multi Centre Gift Cards are just pre-paid Mastercards, so you can actually use them anywhere you want. It is in the small print...

(disclaimer: I haven't seen one since last Christmas, it might have changed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's my understanding too. Can use them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

A lot of people have difficulty using them elsewhere though apparently (they don't use a PIN I think) so I'd only count on using them in the advertised centres. Note also that, despite their validity for a few years, the issuers pilfer €3 from your balance every month after the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

A lot of people have difficulty using them elsewhere though apparently (they don't use a PIN I think) so I'd only count on using them in the advertised centres. Note also that, despite their validity for a few years, the issuers pilfer €3 from your balance every month after the first year.

generally any place will accept them if the retail store has knowledge that they are just prepaid mastercards.

as for the "pilfering", the number on the card has a cost associated with it and it is "rented" from mastercard, it also contributes to the costs (quite small) of keeping the balance there for you to use. Once it is used up the number can be used for another card.

IMO, if you cannot use it within 12 months, considering the number of shops it can be used in, then a €3 charge is something you won't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is the 3 euro annual deduction the stamp duty owed to the gov for credit and debit cards?

Debit cards have a 2.50 annual stamp duty and maybe 50c admin fee also?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's a €3 charge PER MONTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

oops....

Missed the per month bit :D

That's mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Thanks a million guys.

Yeah, got stung with the €3 a month thing on one of them recently so going to get rid of these asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

can they be used to purchase items online? for example, i was trying to purchase something using the multicentre card on the champions sports parent website JD Sports. If it is a prepaid card, you imagine it would be fine? it didnt seem to work for me, even though champion sports is based in mahon point

• Registered Users Posts: 85,415 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's a €3 charge PER MONTH.

So the card loses 3 euros each month wtf I thought it was 3 euros per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Meursault wrote: »
    can they be used to purchase items online? for example, i was trying to purchase something using the multicentre card on the champions sports parent website JD Sports. If it is a prepaid card, you imagine it would be fine? it didnt seem to work for me, even though champion sports is based in mahon point

That would be like saying "why can't it be used in Sligo because they have a shop in mahon point". Online operations are almost always based in a warehouse and use automatic payment software that will require address verification for security.

As gift cards are not address specific, it fails on this security measure and therefore cannot be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,415 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

12. Fees and Usage Restrictions
    We do not charge any fees for checking your on-line balance and transactions. However the following fees do apply:
    On Application
    Card issue fee
    • No Charge Additional Card fee
    • Not Applicable Other initial fees
    • Not Applicable
    Limits
    • Minimum amount of initial load €10.00
    • Maximum initial load €1,250.00
    • Maximum card balance €1,250.00
    Usage restrictions
    • Cannot be used for ATM withdrawals
    • Cannot be used for online(web) purchases
    • No cash back facility
    • For full details please refer to the Terms & Conditions
    Ongoing Features
    Replacement card fees
    • €8.00 per card to replace a lost, damaged, stolen or expired card
    Transaction Fees
    • No Charge
    Cash withdrawal fee
    • Not Applicable Service fees
    • €3.00 per month Management Fee from Month 13 Balance Enquiry
    • Free at Customer Service Desk in the Centre
    • National Call rates apply to balance enquiry line (0818 313 040)
    • Free for online balance enquiries
    Top-up fees and limits
    • Not Applicable Other fees
    • €8.00 to combine cards onto a single card (2 to 5 cards included)
    Closure
    Cancellation or Redemption
    • €8.00 cash-out fee (cancellation of card & return of funds)
    Expiry
    • Card valid until the expiry date on the card
    If we decide to increase or impose any new fees, we will tell you by e-mail, text, or post, at least two months before any changes take effect. Authorisation will be requested for all transactions at the time of each transaction. In the unlikely event, for any reason whatsoever, a transaction is completed when there are insufficient funds on the Gift Card for that transaction (a "Shortfall"), the Shortfall shall be reimbursed by you unless it is due to an error on the part of the retailer where the Gift Card was presented, in this circumstance we may seek the Shortfall from the retailer.
    You agree that once we make this Shortfall known to you, we may charge you for the Shortfall amount. We may charge the amount of the shortfall from any other Gift Cards that you hold with us, to any other payment method which you may designate at that time, or against any funds which you may subsequently load onto your Gift Card or on any additional Gift Card ordered by you. Until we are reimbursed the Shortfall amount, we may suspend your Gift Card and any additional Gift Cards connected to you.

Advertisement