Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiles or Wooden Floors? Door replacment

• 08-01-2015 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice. We are going to be doing some updating to our apartment. Going to replace the laminate flooring and doors which came with apartment when we bought it. My OH wants to tile the floors in the hallway and kitchen/living area while which i am not against only that the i think tiles are colder than wood. Has anyone experience of this? The budget wouldn't allow for underfloor heating.

Also is it expensive to change the doors architrave? We have 8 interior doors to replace. I am budgeting to pay 125-150 per door excluding labour. But the architrave on some of the doors has been painted cream when it should have been white..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just looking for advice. We are going to be doing some updating to our apartment. Going to replace the laminate flooring and doors which came with apartment when we bought it. My OH wants to tile the floors in the hallway and kitchen/living area while which i am not against only that the i think tiles are colder than wood. Has anyone experience of this? The budget wouldn't allow for underfloor heating.

Also is it expensive to change the doors architrave? We have 8 interior doors to replace. I am budgeting to pay 125-150 per door excluding labour. But the architrave on some of the doors has been painted cream when it should have been white..
    Tiles & wooden / laminate flooring have their good and bad points. Its really down to personal preference at the end of the day, and budget of course. The large cream porcelain tile sweeping through the halls / living areas is quite popular, but equally so, a good laminate. I'd steer clear of solid / semi-solid as its too expensive and marks easily plus with the range of laminates available out there these days, there really is something for everyone

Your door budget will definitely see you out and in relation to architrave, if it is just plain white deal which has been painted over, then it's dirt cheap and available in any builders providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

As said it is down to personal choice. However bear in mind that Tiles are pretty permanent once down. you cannot change them easily, There also dangerous where children are about. There also quite cold in appearance as against Carpet or Laminate.
    As for your doors. you should be able to get a good deal on buying 8 doors. I bought some new Timber doors last year for 25 E each. Also many suppliers are selling off their stock of 30 inch Doors because the new regs require 32 inch for wheelchair access. So you should be able to pick some up cheap.
    As said Architrave is quite cheap so just get new fitted the same time as the Doors are hung.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Thanks for the info. I had a look in local store at flooring. Hoping to get a look at doors this weekend. Laminate can be got for 15euro a sq yard while engineered is twice the price. As for the Architrave it was painted magnolia some of it by the receiver who sold apartment. If thats not expensive to replavce and get fitted i will do that.

I would not normally endorse them, but woodies are on a 3 for 2 on packs of wooden floors at the moment. Got 9 packs of VGroove express click 8mm last week for a good price. Won't hurt to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Yes tiles definitely colder than wood.I have wood in kitchen and my mam has tiles.Wouldnt want to be in bare feet in my mams but its no problem in mine.

Only thing is wood does mark.mine is only down a few months so cant see how the wood will look long term-will marks add character like it can on bare floorboards or will it look a mess! You dont have to think about tiles like that in the same way...

• Advertisement

Roselm wrote: »
    Only thing is wood does mark
    A good quality laminate will be far more durable that semi/ solid wood flooring. Much tougher.

Advertisement