Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamist vs Islamic?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing Islamist as a word a lot recently, is there any distinction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I'd view it as Islamist is actively involved in trying to create an Islamic state or enforce Sharia Law, where as Islamic just means a follower of islam

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

To equivocate

One word is "black threat", the other is "filthy n*gger"

Everytime a crime is committed you are expected to ask "was it Islamists"

You see, nobody can think for themselves anymore. Obama is on the tv right and yammering about the rule of law and some other such shit and couldn't give a fcuk as long as there is something to gain from this episode.

Wonder was Hollande thinking that sanctions against Russia were counterproductive and ought to be eased, if not abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Egginacup wrote: »
    To equivocate

You see, nobody can think for themselves anymore. Obama is on the tv right and yammering about the rule of law and some other such shit and couldn't give a fcuk as long as there is something to gain from this episode.

Wonder was Hollande thinking that sanctions against Russia were counterproductive and ought to be eased, if not abolished.

WTF are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

WTF are you on about?

The Mahon Tribunal i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The 'vs' in your thread title is inappropriate, OP.

Unfortunately, and by way of illustration, the other side to the coin you propose might well be 'Rationalist vs Rational'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

endacl wrote: »
    The 'vs' in your thread title is inappropriate, OP.

Unfortunately, and by way of illustration, the other side to the coin you propose might well be 'Rationalist vs Rational'...

It isn't really I'm about the difference between two words. The vs is fine, though it could be interpreted in a way I don't intend a quick look at the OP would sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sick to my teeth hearing about them all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

To equivocate

You have an amazing talent for shoehorning your anti US horse**** into any topic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, there is. And it's an important distinction.

Islam is a religion. Islamic is the associated adjective. Anything pertaining to the religion of Islam can be said to be Islamic.

Islamism is a political ideology (or a set of ideologies) and Islamist is the adjective referring to that ideology. While all Islamists are (presumably) Muslims, the converse is not true. Islamism holds that Islam should guide social and political life as well as personal life. Not all Islamists believe that Islamism should be enforced either through the authority of the state or through force but some believe either or both of these things, and those are the Islamists who tend to feature in our new reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Both are nonsense. I am the way the truth and death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

To equivocate

You know, you are not fooling anyone with this nonsense. Cut it out.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's to differentiate terrorism from Islam.
    Islamic - relating to Islam
    Islamist - realting to extremism within Islam.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Off with their heads, that'll teach them..

Goose and Gander kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If you look at Christians you have a huge range of belief. On one hand you have your bog standard Catholics. they don't like gay people, contraception and abortion but in general they're not too offensive (Compared to other Christian sects and compared to their past behaviour. Lets face it, the inquisition was bad. Although no-one expected them ;)).

then you have Amish people. Amish are technically fundamentalists. they believe in going back to basics. No-one's too worried about them because how can you be worried about a guy in a 200 year old cart.

Then there's the Westboro baptist church. Small but very extreme. They are bat **** crazy. there's loads of groups like them. they're offensive but not physically harming people.

Then you have a group like the KKK. They are a Christian group that lynch and murder people that are in a different race/creed.

They have even more radical and extremist sub groups.

And then there's the people influenced by religion, or defending it, but not acting on behalf of it. Anders Brevik said he was defending Christian Europe.
    The IRA were fighting for catholics but weren't actually fighting for catholic belief. Similar to the Sunni tribes that joined forces for ISIS. they're not fighting for a radical belief but they do believe they are fighting against another religious group (the Shias) In a lot of ways the Iraq fighting is like Northern Ireland. two groups separated by a thin religious difference but they're not really fighting about religion, it's more about politics. And one side has allied with ISIS because it suits their aims.

In the past islamic armed groups and terrorists generally lashed out at other religions or thought they were defending muslims. Think hezbollah or Hamas. In the last 10 years this had become turned inwards a bit. Rather than just lashing outwards they've turned inwards and are now trying to create an islamic caliphate.
    that's the main difference between an what we now call islamists and a more traditional extreme islamic fundamentalism.

but the reason I mentioned all the christian groups above is to show that within any religious group of that size there's a huge amount of variety. It's the same with muslims.

Advertisement