Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo vs Toyota

Options
  • 08-01-2015 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for opinions. I'm looking at two cars in the morning. 1 is a 2002 Volvo s40 with low miles approx 75000, second is a 2004Toyota avensis with approx 130000. Both are 1.8 petrol with roughly the same nct left.
    I know it depends a lot on seeing and driving them but if both are ok which would be the better deal. Toyota is about 500 euros dearer. It also has an auto box.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

all the way toyota.1.8 engine is very good,reliable.if auto box is ok I would defo go for toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2002 S40 would be the model based on the Mitsubishi Carisma and was launched back in 1996. The Avensis on the other hand was only launched in 2003 and would have a fair bit more space than the S40 and feels more modern. Early 1.8 VVTi engines in the Avensis were known to burn oil so make sure to have the car checked out properly. Also as it is an auto make sure to check the bodywork for signs of abuse. Alot of those 1.8 autos were rental cars at one stage and got dog abuse during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I had a 1997 Volvo S40 1.8 from new for 3 years, 100K miles. Only issues were a failed battery and blown rear bulbs, almost impossible to keep all four rear bulbs working at then same time (slight exaggeration maybe)

But regards reliability I think it maybe closer between these two cars than many think. The Toyota has almost twice the mileage...

130,000 miles is not exactly excessive on an 11 year old car. And mileage is not the be all and end all of measuring reliability. I've seen cars with low mileage that hardly every seen an oil change because their owners didn't think they needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Had a Volvo once, liked it very much, but i read here on boards somewhere that the s40 Volvo's have poor resale value, don't quote me on this though

• Advertisement

I'd doubt resale value is a concern with an 11 or 13 year old car at this stage.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt resale value is a concern with an 11 or 13 year old car at this stage.

Some people factor it in though

They are being a little daft then as these cars in bangernomics territory at that stage.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are being a little daft then as these cars in bangernomics territory at that stage.

Nothing surprises me with that thread

Advertisement