Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning a detached house into a semi detatched by building onto parents house.

• 07-01-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

In the hunt for our own home one of the options we thought of is building onto my parents own house (since our hunt to buy is not being very successful). My parents own a three bed bungalow. No mortgage. We would like to maybe build onto this house but at the same time the new build to be a completely separate house and possibly incorporate one of the rooms on the end of my parents house into the new build. Is this even possible.

Planning permission wise is it even an option. Also as it is essentially an 'extension' would the new planning fees of 12,000 euro apply.

Mortgage wise would it mean that our names would have to be on the deeds for my parents house to get a mortgage for an extension.

If it wasn't an option to have it as a separate house completely, would it still be possible to build on all the necessary rooms ( bedrooms, bathrooms. kitchen, living areas etc) but keep it all as one house. There'd be one interconnecting room. Basically is there a limit on the size of house extensions allowed this days. Very clueless here.

Obviously a separate house would be ideal as utilities etc would be completely separate but if it did have to be kept as all one house shared utilities would work too as my partner and I have been living with my parents as is the last 5 years.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is it possible yes. Assuming the site is suitable one would divide the plot and transfer new areas ownership. You would have a mortgage.
    Will it cost you yes: design, planning, certification, utilities: maybe 50k + Allow 1500€ per m2 build costs (very general figures but a good starting cost at your stage)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I recommend you speak to 3 architects

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Bump

chikatee- Can you please tell me how you got on / or how you are getting on? I am planning on doing exactly the same thing as you !!! Would like to hear have you any advice or tips.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement