Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query around renewal of lease

Options
  • 07-01-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Very quick question I would be grateful if people could give their opinions.

Myself and the OH are renting a house the past year and they lease is about to run out.

We love the house , landlord is great and everything is going really well. We have no intention of moving anytime soon and the landlord is not looking for us to go either.

I got a missed call and voicemail from the property company who let the house for the landlord. They left a message saying to contact them to get the lease renewed.I dont believe the landlord has been in touch or asked them to do it. Other than the initial advertising of the property and getting the paperwork done we have not had any further dealing with the agency. Rent is paid direct to landlord etc.

Here is the question. Should I follow this up and get another 1 year lease as the agency suggested or should I say nothing and let it lapse. We really have no worries of the landlord wanting us out but for some reason if he decided to do it in the future would we be better off with no fixed term lease ? Would we be considered a Part 4 tenancy.

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

The agency wanting to renew lease is looking to make some money. After the 1 yr lease has expired it reverts to a part IV tenancy...you continue to enjoy the same rights as set out by the RTA 2004.

The only benefit another fixed term is that you're guaranteed another 12months security of tenure but also ties you to that 12 months. If both tenant and landlord are happy as is I'd ignore any contact from the agency.

Advertisement