Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance problem

Options
  • 07-01-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Heyo boys and girls.

I got a big question for you. But at first a short story.

I started off with a 1.4 Seat Leon 2001 valued at 1100 around a year ago. On my provisional licence I have been quoted 1759 and when I got my full licence it was reduced to 1439. When I got a 1.9TDI Toledo (110BHB) I have been quoted 1075 euro and when I got a peugeot 307 2.0HDI in the same year I have been quoted 80 euro more. All of these were Third Party Fire and Theft covers. IT WAS MY FIRST INSURANCE EVER WHEN I STARTED AT 18 YEARS OF AGE.

Now here is my problem or my friend's problem. He is originally from Poland and has got a Polish licence. He couldn't get quoted in FBD due to this fact and when we got quoted in the company I am with now he got quoted 3300 (aroundish) euro for the same car (it is a bloody 1.4 GOD DAMN IT!). NOW PREPARE FOR THE KO. I am 20 years of age and he is 31. Now I pay around 1100 euro for a 2.0 HDI Peugeot 307 110BHB. He got a quote for this exact car coming in at 2600 for Third Party Fire and Theft. (exactly the same cover).

He has been here for more than 4 years (in Ireland; employed) and had his licence since 2003.

Now; what the hell in the name of the almighty is that?

Please tell me where to look since the insurance system here is just ridiculous.

Thanks,
    Kacper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That's a strange one alright! Why not get your friend to exchange his licence for an Irish one? It's a simple swap and might save your friend a few bob in the long run.

On the same topic, it seems everyone's insurance has gone up the last year. Mine has increased by 80 quid even though I've no claims, Full licence, the works. It could be worse though because some the guys here have been quoted a few hundred more than last year!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Yeah, he is now seriously considering to change his licence.

However, could somebody tell me (since it was requested by the guy at the NDLS to provide him with a "letter of entitlement" to change his licence) what this letter actually means?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

That's a letter from the current licenses issuing authority confirming the license, so in this case whoever provided his license in Poland. From a quick look online you shouldn't need to provide this if the license is still valid and you still have it.

I may be wrong but have a read through:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

"Your completed application form must be accompanied by the following:

- Your driving licence. If your driving licence is lost or expired, you need a letter of entitlement from the licensing authority in the state that issued your licence
    - A Driving Licence Medical Report Form may be required (see below)
    - A Driving Licence Eyesight Report Form may be required (see below)
    - The appropriate fee - see Rates above"

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

We checked today and he is getting quotes for around 1600-2300 (TPFT) for a 1.4l Peugeot 307!

Advertisement