Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about take off

Options
  • 07-01-2015 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

when you stop at a traffic light, or at hill or stopped in traffic.

is the process

put car in neutral, put on handbrake and then when taking off take off in first gear. or do u take off in second.

I've always taken off in first but got a lesson recently and was told I should take off in second. he also said I should leave the car in gear when stopped at traffic light so as to be ready to go (but that would involve me keeping foot on the clutch otherwise car will cut out - which just seemed wrong to me).

when I'm stopped at any point am I right in saying I should be in neutral.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Did the instructor tell you this ?
    always start in first on test and leave in neutral but then again it was a long time ago that i done the test or lessons.
    but if you have passed and now driving do what ever way you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Plus it is alway handbrake then neutral.. never the other way around for the driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Always start in first gear. I'd hate to see the state of the clutch in the car of whoever told you start in second. It rally depends on length of time you're going to be stopped add to whether you put on handbrake and put car into neutral. Handbrake at lights always a good idea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can only presume that there was some miscommunication when the instructor was teaching...unless you're driving a bus or something!

I wouldn't say things are as black and white as you describe. You are correct, if you are stopped at a set of lights, and will be there for longer than 5 seconds say then stop, handbrake on, neutral. However, if you will be stopped for a very short amount of time, at a Stop sign in a quiet estate or similar, there is no need to Stop, neutral, look, find gear, release the handbrake.

Simply stopping, keep your foot on the foot brake, select first gear, make sure the way is clear and go would be far more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

If you're stopping for a red light I would stop and apply the handbrake, then either go into neutral and release the clutch. Or leave it in first with the clutch down so you're ready to go - it's generally good practice when you're in the first 1-2 cars at a light to leave it in first so you're ready to go.

Never start the car in second - especially if you're starting facing up-hill. This will most likely stall the car, or burn the clutch badly. If you're facing down a step hill, you could start in second (slowly with the clutch), but personally just go with first.

If you're stopping to give way (e.g. at a T-junction) you should only apply the handbrake if you're stopping for a good length of time, in most cases you will just use the brake here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement