Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a lease

Options
  • 07-01-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I moved into an apartment in July last year. I signed a 12 month contract but now I want to move but I don't know if I have any rights to my deposit back.

I am living with a couple, who for the past month and a half have been having arguments/ disagreements in the communal area so I am pretty much confined to my room! I feel its unfair to be paying the amount of rent I am for only access to my room as I feel too awkward to go to the sitting room/ kitchen. I've had to skip dinner some evenings as they were shouting so much at each other. I have tried contacting my landlord but he never replies!

I feel I can't interfere as it would be getting involved in their relationship and that is the last thing I want.

Is there any grounds for getting my deposit back due to a hostile environment? (The tenant before me left because of the couple)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I moved into an apartment in July last year. I signed a 12 month contract but now I want to move but I don't know if I have any rights to my deposit back.

I am living with a couple, who for the past month and a half have been having arguments/ disagreements in the communal area so I am pretty much confined to my room! I feel its unfair to be paying the amount of rent I am for only access to my room as I feel too awkward to go to the sitting room/ kitchen. I've had to skip dinner some evenings as they were shouting so much at each other. I have tried contacting my landlord but he never replies!

I feel I can't interfere as it would be getting involved in their relationship and that is the last thing I want.

Is there any grounds for getting my deposit back due to a hostile environment? (The tenant before me left because of the couple)

The domestic goings on of fellow tenants are hardly something that concerns the landlord to the extent that you can break a lease.

Are you a sub lessee, are you named on the lease agreement. I would do as the person before you did, go find another tenant to takeover the lease. May be no harm to mention to landlord why you are moving out.

Advertisement