Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is it that I study the original Othello?

Options
  • 07-01-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've got a small bit of a problem, my teacher left the studying of Othello until 6th year, but unfortunately, in the few weeks the class was reading, I was out with an illness. The class is on to themes/character essays/etc now. I've attempted to read the play to catch up myself, but truthfully, due to the Shakespearean English, it might as well be in a completely different language, I can't understand it. I've looked up a modern English summary of the play to know what happens in it, and now I know completely what the play is about. But, my question is, as long as I know what happens, and of course learn off important Shakespearean quotes and what they mean, should I be grand? Or would I have to get a Shakespearean dictionary and read the original play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

It would probably be best to ask your teacher but I would say that as long as you know the play reasonably well, learn quotes, and are able to get good marks in exam questions it doesn't matter too much if you don't read the actual play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I repeat the LC, only to find that Macbeth wasn't on the ciriculum that year - so I had to "read" Hamlet as the class had done it the previous year.

I only read the notes, watched the dvd and read over the important bits AFTER all that. I got a B1 in Honours and could quote it rather well. I do suggest reading the key scenes after getting all the notes -- it helps.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At a minimum, please, go see the play or watch a filmed version of it.
    There are shortcuts and then there are shortcuts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    At a minimum, please, go see the play or watch a filmed version of it.
    There are shortcuts and then there are shortcuts.
    x100

I wouldn't be getting out a dictionary and figuring out every single word, but if you rely on notes and summaries you are depriving yourself of any in-depth understanding of the play.

It's easy to get a video of Othello (it may even be online, I haven't checked). Watch it, it will be a lot easier to follow than the written word (plays, after all, were meant to be performed). Then at least read through the important scenes afterwards.

Advertisement