Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need ideas for LC music practicals

Options
  • 07-01-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Need pieces of music that would be suitable for the leaving cert music practicals. I play guitar and as I am the only person in my year not playing piano for said practicals, I have no idea what I should play. I would consider myself a pretty decent guitarist (been playing for about 8 yrs) but since I've never went to lessons or anything, I've never been graded or examined or anything like that. I would really appreciate any suggestions (electric or acoustic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

If you could manage naive by the kooks on the electric it would be seriously impressive imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If you pull off "Plug In Baby" by Muse you will ace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Elton john - Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you choose a variety of styles to show what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can you tell us what style you play ?
    Also what level are you at with your guitar ? I can think of a few good songs but they are advanced and difficult to play so I don't know if they would be of any help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

It's better to play a "simple" song well rather than a complicated song badly. It's a performance though, so try to show off and entertain the examiner. If you're the only non-piano player then to see you play the guitar will be a nice change! Can you sing? If so you could do 4 voice (while still accompanying yourself with the guitar) and then 4 guitar. Will you be doing 6 on guitar, Music Tech then 4 on guitar? It's only advisable to do the 6 pieces if you are experienced. You've been playing for roughly 8 years so you're going to be good. The main thing is to have a really good mix of genres. Have contemporary, classical pop etc. I play trumpet so I can't advise you on what to play but I'm playing two contemporary/pop, a classical piece, a piece from a show and the Music Tech.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rubtle0

I play a lot of styles. Classical, fingerstyle, rock etc. As for what level I'm at, i really don't know. Id say I'm above average. I would like to do 6 pieces on guitar but will probably end up doing 4 plus music technology. Im an ok singer. I play in a band in which i sing back up vocals but i doubt I'm close to capable of singing for the practicals. There are a lot of great guitar songs but it is relatively hard to find pieces that sound good on just solo guitar. As for what difficulty, it doesn't matter, just something that can be learnt fast.

I appreciate the suggestions by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Rubtle0 wrote: »
    I play a lot of styles. Classical, fingerstyle, rock etc. As for what level I'm at, i really don't know. Id say I'm above average. I would like to do 6 pieces on guitar but will probably end up doing 4 plus music technology. Im an ok singer. I play in a band in which i sing back up vocals but i doubt I'm close to capable of singing for the practicals. There are a lot of great guitar songs but it is relatively hard to find pieces that sound good on just solo guitar. As for what difficulty, it doesn't matter, just something that can be learnt fast.

Classical : Bach minuet in g , prelude in c , prelude in d minor , classical gas( mason Williams ), romantica , tears in heaven on classical guitar . Bouree e minor , canon in d major pachabel , ave Maria Schubert

Acoustic: Neil young old man , needle and the damage done ,. Harvest moon , hey hey my my , layla acoustic Eric Clapton , high and dry radio head , the Beatles blackbird , in my life , Norwegian wood , my sweet lord George Harrison . War is over John Lennon , wish you were here pink Floyd, knocking on heavens door , 500 miles the proclaimers, Romeo and Juliet dire straits.

Electric : red house hendrix , hey joe hendrix , all along the watchtower electric or unplugged , my favourite hendrix song to play is the wind crys mary , led zepplin - black dog , rock and roll , whole lotta love , immigrant song , sweet child o mine , sweet home alabama , don't cry gnr, boys are back in town thin Lizzie . Johnny b good chuck berry , sultans of swing and money for nothing dire straits , brothers in arms.

Look up justin guitar, marty Schwartz and papastache on you tube . They can teach you to play many of these songs.
    They have beginner , intermediate and advanced sections ! You should find songs on their channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Rubtle0 wrote: »

You can perform with your band! Obviously they won't be marked but you will be. My friend is doing this and honestly his performance will blow the examiner away. You should talk to your teacher about arranging this.

Advertisement