Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres for 01 Corrolla

Options
  • 07-01-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Need at least two new tyres for my 2001 Toyota Corrolla in the next week. I think I have four Hankooks on it at the mo (need to double check this evening). After reading a thread or two on here I decided that the argument towards proper tyres was a very strong one! What should I be getting? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

If I bought them online would a tyre place fit them for me then? Never even thought of buying online!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    If I bought them online would a tyre place fit them for me then? Never even thought of buying online!

I think that buying online only makes sense if you're ordering large size tires, or unusual sizes. I'm going to take a guess that your wheels are most likely a very common size 16" or so. You should be able to beat prices online since the price online will exclude the fitting cost. Do your homework before ordering, and ring around to local tire places with some brands that you want and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Lots of places will but not all of them. It's worth ringing a couple of places local to you first and asking them if they will fit them. They usually charge about €10-€15 a tyre to fit and balance the new tyres. Buying online doesn't always work out cheaper so it's worth getting prices locally too. However online shopping usually gives a much better selection of "good" tyres. Be aware of local tyre shops swearing that tyres you've never heard of being excellent too.

Thanks very much! Sound advice. Ill check out the prices. If I ended up buying direct from a tyre shop should I be looking for the brands mentionned above? I remember buying hubcaps a few yrs back for the car and I think they were for a 15.5 inch so its around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a car like a Corolla the tyres are pretty common size and generally there no huge saving if any from buying online and then finding a place to fit them. It only becomes cost effective to buy online when you are into the expensive high end stuff that is not readily available locally.

Hankooks are definitely a good brand, my father has them on his Auris and they are serving him well. Other brands to look at would be the likes of Uniroyal, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear or Michelin. Just avoid any of the cheap unheard of brands that tend to be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The correct size tyre for your car is 175/65/R14. I had michelin energy savers on mine and I found them good. They offered a good level of grip whilst also being very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks very much! Sound advice. Ill check out the prices. If I ended up buying direct from a tyre shop should I be looking for the brands mentionned above? I remember buying hubcaps a few yrs back for the car and I think they were for a 15.5 inch so its around that.

Just look at the sidewall of your current tyres to get the correct size before you go ringing around looking for 15.5 inch tyres :D

What would people's opinions be on matadors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

My sister has then on her Punto and I find them to be sh1te. They get a lot of good reviews though. Personally I wouldn't buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

I have 4 Matador MP46 on my car and find them good. They're made in France also (not sure if that's good or bad!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    My sister has then on her Punto and I find them to be sh1te. They get a lot of good reviews though. Personally I wouldn't buy them.

matadors were the budget tyre here before Chinese budget tyres had taken off here. maybe 7-10 years ago, if you wanted a budget tyre you'd get a matador or a kormoran.

i guess now that the Chinese are so established here it pushes matador up the scale. i'd rather have a matador than a Chinese tyre.

i've had them on a few cars, a k12 Micra, a mk1 Punto and a mk3 Fiesta for example and they were "fine". still rather something a little better overall mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

When I was buying the michelin were €20 per corner more expensive than the budget Chinese tyres with mid range options such as Firestone in between both for price. Your not really saving that much by going cheap in this tire size imo.

Advertisement