Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Monthly Cost

Options
  • 07-01-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

HI I was wondering if anyone could inform me of the average price of hosting a website monthly? I have been quoted 30 Euro Per month. How do you view this in comparison to other hosting services. I am a one woman show business wise and am not familiar with these costs, just learning, so honest answers appreciated! Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It depends on your website. Bandwidth needed / storage space needed / email hosting / technology used...

I was paying around €30 a month + €5 per addition domain hosted but I moved all my domains and hosting to ********** because they have great packages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

not outrageous, not particularly cheap either.

Hosting for a small site can cost anything from €5 per month and up. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

Do a google search for the host you're thinking of using, you'll usually find a few relevant reviews/comments.

Try to find out if your hosting provider is a real company or a back-bedroom hobby host. Avoid the latter.

Anticipating your questions, it's worth pointing out we can't discuss/recommend specific hosting companies here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Graham wrote: »
    it's worth pointing out we can't discuss/recommend specific hosting companies here on Boards.

Didn't know that. I'll edit my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vixen24

Thank you, I know you cant recommend companies, but info on the price range is good. I am hoping to obtain the passwords myself, as I can do basic website editing, ie add news content, upload photos, create links, so what i need the company for is I suppose should something go wrong and the technicalities. I was also wondering, is it difficult to move hosts, I have a feeling I might have trouble obtaining my domain from host Im leaving, maybe I am incorrect on that one, I know my colleague had awful trouble moving with her website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

There's a (somewhat dated but accurate) list of hosting companies in the forum charter if you'd like to compare.

• Advertisement

It's not a bad idea to keep your domain names separate from your hosting company, less chance of anything being held hostage. It doesn't happen often but when it does happen, it can be a real pain.

Check the Whois records for your domain Vixen24, make sure you are listed as the domain owner. Maybe even think about moving it to one of the larger domain registrars if you're concerned about it.

KonFusion wrote: »
    There's a (somewhat dated but accurate) list of hosting companies in the forum charter if you'd like to compare.

:eek: Somewhat dated would be a fairly generous description.

Thank you, this information is very useful, can I ask how do you check if you are domain owner?

Vixen24 wrote: »
    Thank you, this information is very useful, can I ask how do you check if you are domain owner?

Here's the whois I normally use:

http://whois.domaintools.com

HI sorry one more Q! I looked up the report but i am not following the info given in the various categories,where should it state owner? under Name Servers it states our hosting co. also under Registrar Status it states clientTransferProhibited ? Thank you

• Advertisement

If it's a .com domain your name should be in one or more of the following lines of info:

Registrant Name: VIXEN24
    Admin Name: VIXEN or VIXENS HOSTING COMPANY
    Tech Name: VIXEN or VIXENS HOSTING COMPANY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭jmcc

Vixen24 wrote: »
    Thank you, I know you cant recommend companies, but info on the price range is good. I am hoping to obtain the passwords myself, as I can do basic website editing, ie add news content, upload photos, create links, so what i need the company for is I suppose should something go wrong and the technicalities. I was also wondering, is it difficult to move hosts, I have a feeling I might have trouble obtaining my domain from host Im leaving, maybe I am incorrect on that one, I know my colleague had awful trouble moving with her website.
    Most of the these problems tend to occur when the domain registrant/owner is not the authoritative contact for the domain name (admin or tech contact). This basically means that they are not the ones with the power to make changes to the domain name record or move the domain name. Sometimes the web development company might put its own details in as the registrant of the domain name.

Switching hosts is generally easy enough if you know what you are doing and are familiar with the process. If you have control over the domain name, then it is simply a matter of changing the nameservers from the old hoster's nameservers to those of the new hoster. The new website should also be in place and the domain's records should be set up on the new hoster. (You will still be paying for the domain via the old hoster or whatever setup existed previously but the webhosting/website will be shifted.)

If there is a registrar change, then this is slightly more complicated because you are moving the domain name itself between registrars. For a gTLD like .COM, this involves unlocking the domain name and getting an authorising code to transfer the domain name from the old registrar to the new registrar. This process can take anything from a few hours to a few days. Some registrars make it a real problem to move domains away.

These are what the terms like "clienttransferprohibited" mean in plain English:
    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/epp-status-codes-2014-06-16-en

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hosting pricing varies a lot as do the packages / services that you get included.

You should check carefully to see exactly what you are getting and why.

Also put it in perspective - if you're running your business or a good part of it online then your business may rely in whole or in part on the website, email etc., so paying a little more for it shouldn't be an issue.

The domain name should be registered to you as the business owner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Can't believe the <snip> interface...so user friendly and honest. and it's 15$ a year hosting. check it out for yourself. good luck with site

Advertisement