Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus one of the safest airlines

Options
  • 07-01-2015 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Aer Lingus is in the top 10 of the safest low cost airlines in the World in a survey just released by AirlineRatings.com, the airlines are listed below. In the Worlds safest airlines Quantas is no 1 the others are listed at the bottom. I would have though Ryanair would be in this list given their safety record and the size of their fleet.

This year, the site also included a list of the top 10 safest low cost airlines for 2015.
    These are, in alphabetical order: Aer Lingus (Ireland), Alaska Airlines (U.S), Icelandair (Iceland), Jetblue (U.S.), Jetstar (Australia), Kulula.com (South Africa), Monarch Airlines (UK), Thomas Cook (UK), TUIfly (Germany) and WestJet (Canada).

Rounding out the rest of the top 10 in alphabetical order are: Air New Zealand, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Am I correct in thinking that the only significant incident with EI was the Cork/ Heathrow flight back in the 60 ' s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

apparently Ryanair doesnt make the cut because it doesnt have IOSA certification. Does anybody know why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus#Incidents_and_accidents

It was the Shorts crash I was looking for but here is the wiki link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

kub wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that the only significant incident with EI was the Cork/ Heathrow flight back in the 60 ' s?

That was the last fatal accident. Aer Lingus has a perfect record for jet aircraft, just like Qantas who make a big deal about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Any airlines there that don't fall under part 145 or equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Aer Lingus only had accidents with Vickers Viscounts AFAIK. Never a jet incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Lockheed wrote: »
    Aer Lingus only had accidents with Vickers Viscounts AFAIK. Never a jet incident.

During the mid eighties one of their 737-200s suffered a bird strike after take off. It had to return as there was some damage to one of the engines. Gay Byrne was one of the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    During the mid eighties one of their 737-200s suffered a bird strike after take off. It had to return as there was some damage to one of the engines. Gay Byrne was one of the passengers.

In fairness engine damage due to bird ingestion is a very common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

aviator7 wrote: »

Appreciate that. Just highlighting same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

DC3 St Kevin I think flew into a mountain in early fifties, all killed, 23 I think. Then there was the Viscount that was on a training flight over Meath, pilot instructor and two cadets, again all killed.

Just found this.
    http://mylesdungan.com/2014/01/09/on-this-day-drivetime-10-1-52-first-major-aer-lingus-plane-crash/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Also the Shorts 360 at East Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

aviator7 wrote: »

I think this one was a bit more lets say different.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Duffer2010 wrote: »

That's quite interesting, I didn't know that. Also about the DC-3.

kona wrote: »
    I think this one was a bit more lets say different.

Spill the beans! Was O'Leary feeding frozen turkeys into the intake?

Seriously though is there an aaiu report or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I don't see why they rank operators on safety. There's more to it than that. The Contracting State and its Competent Authority are significant. I'm not saying Aer Lingus is unsafe though.

The Irish Aviation Authority was ranked third in Europe and forth in the world in 2011 in relation to %LEI - Lack of Effective Implementation by ICAO.

Ryanair isn't a member of IATA and didn't undertake an IATA Operational Safety Audit as a result.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/425/worlds-safest-airlines-for-2015

Hears a link which partially explains the criteria, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Here's a link to the Aer Lingus Shorts crash near East Midlands

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19860131-1

I believe that the engine was near ripped from the wing in the 737 incident at Dub, I remember an ex EI pilot who was working for FR about 10 years ago telling me about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

apparently Ryanair doesnt make the cut because it doesnt have IOSA certification. Does anybody know why that is?
    Only required for IATA members, personally I think that the whole concept is a con!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Aren't all airlines low cost now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Aren't all airlines low cost now?

no !
    I always forget how Irish people's view of Aviation is skewed so much by low fares and no frills because thats what the Irish have come to know when flying!
    I often wonder how many would react to the elaborate business class cabins and service of certain airlines having spend years on FR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Locker10a wrote: »
    no !
    I always forget how Irish people's view of Aviation is skewed so much by low fares and no frills because thats what the Irish have come to know when flying!
    I often wonder how many would react to the elaborate business class cabins and service of certain airlines having spend years on FR

But you still can get this on aer lingus planes and on other airlines with business class you can get low fare economy class.

It's all the same in the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

yipeeeee wrote: »
    But you still can get this on aer lingus planes and on other airlines with business class you can get low fare economy class.

It's all the same in the end.
    EI is not an "elaborate Business class" you should watch some videos online showcasing the First Class, Business class of Emirates, Ethiad, Cathay, BA, Singapore etc..
    The economy class on some of these airlines would put shorthaul withing Europe to shame.

Above that you have Singapore Suites on their A380 and the brand new Sky Apartment with butler that Ethiad have on their A380.

Then think back to your last few flights with Ryanair, Aer Lingus or anyone else within Europe, then decide if "all the same in the end"

Tenger wrote: »
    EI is not an "elaborate Business class" you should watch some videos online showcasing the First Class, Business class of Emirates, Ethiad, Cathay, BA, Singapore etc..
    The economy class on some of these airlines would put shorthaul withing Europe to shame.

Above that you have Singapore Suites on their A380 and the brand new Sky Apartment with butler that Ethiad have on their A380.

Then think back to your last few flights with Ryanair, Aer Lingus or anyone else within Europe, then decide if "all the same in the end"
    The only thing that is the same is that you will be getting off at the same airport, First/Business class will get off before you and will probably have collected their "priority labeled" baggage and be headding out of the airport while you are still trying to get off the plane.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,225 ✭✭✭✭L1011

roundymac wrote: »
    The only thing that is the same is that you will be getting off at the same airport, First/Business class will get off before you and will probably have collected their "priority labeled" baggage and be headding out of the airport while you are still trying to get off the plane.:D

The last time I saw GC "priority" bags making it to the carousel first in DUB was... actually, I haven't ever seen it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The same with British Airways Club Class in Dublin.

Priority baggage does not exist in Dublin.

It was Beijing I saw it, we were upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

roundymac wrote: »
    It was Beijing I saw it, we were upgraded.

How did ya manage that?? Flash a bit of leg??

billie1b wrote: »
    How did ya manage that?? Flash a bit of leg??
    Tut tut.

Advertisement