Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired Groupon

Options
  • 07-01-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi There,

I purchased a groupon voucher for braces 4 months ago.

I have already begun my treatment with the dentist in question and have email proof informing them that I had a voucher to redeem.

Unfortunately I found yesterday that the voucher had not been redeemed and the expiry date has now passed. Can anyone inform me of my options? Surely it should just be a case of waiving the expiry date as I had already begun my treatment prior to the expiry under the impression that I had redeemed my voucher?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cfleming89

Thanks for the reply Melendez.

The practice rang me this morning to say the voucher had expired and they couldnt redeem it (contact groupon etc.)

I think its more a case of the receptionist not being sure and fobbing the responsibility onto me than anything else. I have also noticed that the voucher says it expires in 3 months and I only purchased on October 20th so it shouldn't even have expired by now! I too think i'm in a strong position but its good to have that reinforced by somebody else's opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

You're are 100% bang on- so weird that it's coming up on my account as expired.

I'm sure it'll get it sorted- thanks for putting my mind at ease!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if it had expired, if you gave them the voucher at the start its their own fault for not claiming it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Buying dental treatment through groupon is never wise, selling it through groupon is even worse as the clinician has not seen the patient before the contract is formed.

I don't know much about groupon but when you buy the voucher, who gets the money? Does is go directly to the seller or is it kept by groupon until redeemed? If the seller is unable to redeem the value of the voucher from groupon, then the fees have not been paid so there is no contract. If the money goes straight to the seller, then you have kept up your end.

This sounds to me like an issue with groupon, if the ortho can't get their money, no wonder they won't provide treatment.

1, You receive an initial consult and if not found to be suitable you receive a refund.

2, the dentist hasn't received the funds yet apparently-absolutely daft.

I have also just checked groupons t&c's which states even if the voucher is expired-it is still worth the amount that I paid for it- in which case the dentist should be able to bloody claim it anyway! Driving me up the f****ng wall.

"1. Vouchers

a. Vouchers have two separate values: (a) the amount paid and (b) the promotional value. The promotional value is the additional value beyond the amount paid.

For traditional Groupon vouchers, the promotional value will EXPIRE on the date specified in the offer, unless prohibited by law. The amount paid WILL NEVER EXPIRE and must continue to be honored by the merchant after the promotional value expires. The amount paid may be applied toward any goods or services offered by the merchant if the original goods or services specified on the voucher are no longer available. Promotional value can’t be combined with other offers. Doesn’t cover tax or gratuity. Not reloadable. Fully transferable."

Advertisement