Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Others" in storage use -> will Apple answer to that?

Options
  • 07-01-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I know there will be hundreds or thousands of messages related, but I still the only solution is make a backup, factory reset the iPhone and restore the backup.

I cannot understand how it's possible to lose so much storage capacity in our iPhones. I have the 5.

I have read recently that Apple has been reported for this issue and hopefully will do something to make our devices more useful. Do you know anything? it would be great, I'm really tired of being continuously doing those backups-reset-restore :-/

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Never experienced this problem. Are you sure it’s not app data?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mdabar

Nope, it's a common issue with iOS devices, it of course depends on how many apps and what kind of apps you have installed.
    For example is you have an email account and you have a long synchronizing period, it will download emails, pictures and attachments... and after that synchro period the emails won't be shown but the space used will remain used :-/

If you search Google for "iPhone others" you'll see a lot of complains and posts regarding.

Yesterday I saw this news "iPhone owners sue Apple over storage space, allege fraud" (i cannot paste links, so search in Google news "iphone other apple") . I hope after this sue apple will change something on his system and we can at least, clean that storage to make available for users...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I shouldn't rise to the bait but I'm in that sort of mood today. I think it's curious that the OP registered today, posted in two other threads recommending android devices, including info on how to buy and discount codes, and then wanders into the apple devices forum to give out about the iphone storage space.

I agree that phone manufacturers should be more clear about the storage available to end users but the OS and bundled apps on all phones take up some of the advertised space.

People, especially our American cousins, will sue over anything and the iphone compares well compared to other devices.

Which.16GB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Whatever about iOS8 taking up space on iPhones and stupid law suits over it, there is a problem - http://www.macworld.com/article/2861406/itunes-syncing-is-broken-apple-please-fix-it.html.

My own iPhone 5s 16GB had around 2.5GB of "other" recently, but when I reset and restored it, "other" was suddenly less than 1GB...

Hi, just to clarify, I'm not here to sell anything, I just like a lot technology and like also to publish comments, and reviews about it. I'm from Spain so before I participated more on Spanish forums, but now i'm living in Dublin and this forum is the one I'm using more to stuff like check house, veterinary info, local things...

Regarding your comment, I have an iPhone5 which is my main phone. But like trying gadgets and writing about them. I recently acquired that Elephone P3000S about which I talk, I also considered the OnePlus One, but as I said, it's much more expensive.
    The power bank I talk about, it's mainly for the iPhone, since the battery hardly lasts 1 normal day.

Being the iPhone my main phone, piss me off when it's related to storage, since the space once used by messages or emails (including attachments) is not easily cleaned... there should be another option, but there isn't. I'm not talking about the free space in the beginning, but about the spaced named "Others"

I cannot put an image to show you, but there are a lot in google...

Thanks, and have a nice one!
    I shouldn't rise to the bait but I'm in that sort of mood today. I think it's curious that the OP registered today, posted in two other threads recommending android devices, including info on how to buy and discount codes, and then wanders into the apple devices forum to give out about the iphone storage space.

I agree that phone manufacturers should be more clear about the storage available to end users but the OS and bundled apps on all phones take up some of the advertised space.

People, especially our American cousins, will sue over anything and the iphone compares well compared to other devices.

• Advertisement

Hi, just to clarify, I'm not here to sell anything, I just like a lot technology and like also to publish comments, and reviews about it. I'm from Spain so before I participated more on Spanish forums, but now i'm living in Dublin and this forum is the one I'm using more to stuff like check house, veterinary info, local things...

Regarding your comment, I have an iPhone5 which is my main phone. But like trying gadgets and writing about them. I recently acquired that Elephone P3000S about which I talk, I also considered the OnePlus One, but as I said, it's much more expensive.
    The power bank I talk about, it's mainly for the iPhone, since the battery hardly lasts 1 normal day.

Being the iPhone my main phone, piss me off when it's related to storage, since the space once used by messages or emails (including attachments) is not easily cleaned... there should be another option, but there isn't. I'm not talking about the free space in the beginning, but about the spaced named "Others"

I cannot put an image to show you, but there are a lot in google...

Thanks for the image with the info about storage, and have a nice one!

Advertisement