Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Variants of the 1.6 Diesel in the 2012 Focus

Options
  • 07-01-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone got a link to the differences between or experience of the engines used in the Ford Focus - particularly the 1.6D 2012 version. There are at least 2 variants - a 95hp and I believe a 115hp (could there be a 110 also ??) and there is also an Econetic but not sure if that is a different engine or just a method of getting the emissions down!

Hard to tell on a short test drive whether the lower spec 95 one which seems to be the more common is going to be underpowered.

Not for myself but helping someone look and they are coming from a 2003 1.6 Petrol Focus.

Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

95bhp version is 5 speed and 115bhp is 6 speed afaik. Not sure if the Econetic version has more or less bhp but probably tuned differently along with different gearing for better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    95bhp version is 5 speed and 115bhp is 6 speed afaik. Not sure if the Econetic version has more or less bhp but probably tuned differently along with different gearing for better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Both are 6 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Both are 6 speed.

Great I thought I was going mad as I was sure the one I drove yesterday had a 6-speed box even though the advert seems to imply 5-speed (listed as 95PS 5SP)...so maybe I'm not the only one who is confused :)

Still not sure as to what the differences, advantages/disadvantages are...did the higher power engine come as standard in the higher specs Zetec ? Titanium ? The car I drove was an Edge.

The car is essentially going to be a family car, 2 kids, city and a fair bit of main road/motorway driving but will never tow a trailer or anything like that....I'm tending towards thinking the 95bhp is probably fine but I've nothing really to back that up with!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I driven both (lots). 115bhp is relatively rare here as most won't pay the €800 premium.

I reckon it's well worth it - overtaking performance in the 115bhp is vastly superior. There's no discernable fuel consumption penalty either.

The higher output engine is an option on the Titanium model only - last January anyhow.

Follow up question on this, I drove a 2012 UK import Titanium spec this morning which has the 115bhp engine but it was dreadfully underpowered to the point I'm wondering was it actually in 'Limp Mode' !!

When we started it up there was a warning on the Dash which said 'Engine Malfunction - Service Now', the sales guy basically put it down to just overrunning the service interval but based on the performance of the car I'm concerned it something more than that.... You could click 'OK' to acknowledge the warning and then there was a little yellow 'i' showing I guess to indicate there was an outstanding service message.

Is there any indication if a Ford goes into Limp mode and if it does how badly does it effect performance ? It was still pretty smooth but just no acceleration - even in 2nd, 3rd gear you could floor it and no real response.

Got the sales guy to drive it also and even he agreed that the car felt underpowered for the engine..he is going to check it out with some diagnostics and come back to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd walk away. Depends on what the issue is but it's not a great vindication of the establishment selling such a new car with a warning lights popping up on a test drive. Plenty of these cars out there so move on to another is my advice.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd walk away. Depends on what the issue is but it's not a great vindication of the establishment selling such a new car with a warning lights popping up on a test drive. Plenty of these cars out there so move on to another is my advice.

I would tend to agree but strangely enough there are not many Titanium models around and it is a nice spec. However, at the end of the day its not going to be my decision as I'm only being asked to come along as advisor and my advice may not be listened to :-)

Will be interested to hear was the garage comes back with as explanation and I'd still like to hear from anyone who has seen a Focus in Limp Mode to understand how it behaves as if it really did go into that then its certainly more serious than simply exceeding a service interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

DriveSkill wrote: »
    I would tend to agree but strangely enough there are not many Titanium models around and it is a nice spec. However, at the end of the day its not going to be my decision as I'm only being asked to come along as advisor and my advice may not be listened to :-)

Will be interested to hear was the garage comes back with as explanation and I'd still like to hear from anyone who has seen a Focus in Limp Mode to understand how it behaves as if it really did go into that then its certainly more serious than simply exceeding a service interval.
    Limp mode usually doesn't allow you to accellerate at all. It could be a hose from the turbo lose or something.
    I'd walk. Plenty of minded ones out there. Just wait a little longer.

115bhp engine is pretty lively. 0-60mph in 10 and a bit seconds.

Advertisement