Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Triathlon bike advice

• 06-01-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to start doing triathlons and don't have any bike at present so am looking at getting a racer bike. I was in 2 different bike shops today and was recommended the following 3 bikes:

TREK LEXA S €875

CUBE AXIAL WLS €799

CUBE AXIAL WLS PRO €949

I wondered if anyone could give advice on which these models would be best or make any other recommendations?

I plan on getting the bike through the bike to work scheme.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you want it for triathlons. Why don't you get a triathlon bike?

http://m.canyon.com/en/details.html?bike_id=3688

speedmax-al-8_c1118.jpg

Can be bought on bike to work scheme too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you want it for triathlons. Why don't you get a triathlon bike?

http://m.canyon.com/en/details.html?bike_id=3688

speedmax-al-8_c1118.jpg

Can be bought on bike to work scheme too.

I would advise against this. Start with a road bike and if you want you can add tribars. A TT bike can't be used on group rides so if I only had to have one it would be a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I would advise against this. Start with a road bike and if you want you can add tribars. A TT bike can't be used on group rides so if I only had to have one it would be a road bike.

What if one is part of a group of triathletes? Then what?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Still generally road bikes for group rides.

OP - I've had a Trek Lexa S for three and a half years, I really like it, probably slightly overpriced for the spec though. My OH's Felt is better specced and only cost £500 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If it's a road-bike you're after, dont limit yourself to the "women-specific" models. Women were riding regular bikes long before marketing departments came up with that idea.

And I think everyone on here would implore you to spend the full 1000 euro btw allocation on the bike (or more if you like, of course). Most everyone who spends 250 of the allowance on entry level locks and helmets etc generally regrets it later, upgrades all the kit soon after and bemoans the fact that they didn't spend the money on the bike itself first day.

Advertisement