Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities Visiting Ireland

Options
  • 06-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

OMG OMG CLOONEY'S COMING!!

Would this make the news in other countries? Seriously, I have no idea but I find it hard to believe that it would or why it would. Can anyone explain it to me?

Are other countries this self centered; anytime I've heard a big star interviewed in Ireland they're guaranteed to be asked at least one of three questions;
    1. Are you enjoying your visit?
    2. You have Irish connections, don't you?
    3. Will you come back?
    I don't think I'm the only one who's noticed given that Waterford Whispers already have a piece here

The Sunday Independent Life magazine will carry a commemorative 800-page magazine this week, which makes news of the news that George Clooney could possibly holiday in Ireland.

Let's just hope he doesn't slag off the lack of WiFi and coffee culture ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's the big deal? It's in the entertainment and celebrity section, not headline news

Shur the whole purpose of celeb news sites is to report on mundane and vacuous shite like that

Also, what's up with your ones neck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I wasent home for Christmas but I home this Thursday, just saying like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Let's leave him alone.

More than welcome to visit, let him enjoy himself and not annoy the feck out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

some journo will probably try and teach him to speak Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Robsweezie wrote: »
    some journo will probably try and teach him to speak Irish

I'd say he'll have to take out a barring order against Barry Egan while he's here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Bowing to public pressure President Michael D. Higgins has already begun waiting at the arrivals gate of Dublin airport in order to ensure he is not late for greeting the actor who is set to arrive in June sometime.

Such is the high regard the Oscar winning actor, director and producer is held in, the Government has taken the unusual step of inventing a wholly fictitious family of Irish relatives for him.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"Celebrities" can stay well hidden in Ireland if they really want to thats why they come here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

He has Kilkenny blood in him the poor bolleex.

That means an obligatory photo shoot with a hurl and sliotar. Probably with an embarrassed Cody and Sheflin coaxed into the mix for a touch of shamroguery.

It'll happen - You watch.

As for that detestable clown Barry Egan. If he gets within asses roar of the hotel Clooney is staying in, expect three full length feature articles in different sections of the Sindo the following week titled, Lunch with my friends the Clooneys. An afternoon with newlyweds my friends the Clooney family and for the Magazine, Geroge Clooney and me, by Barry Egan.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clooney has Irish roots on both sides of the family apparently so it's probably a good idea to visit. Hopefully they'll have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I use to work on Sunday mornings in a shop, I had to put out the papers in the morning and put in the supplements. Like clockwork, there would be a male celebrity on the cover, skip to the interview part...they are asked what they think about Ireland and Irish women...PAINFUL!!..could imagine some women reading the canned response of how much they love Irish women, shrieking with glee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I hate the way celebs are put on a pedastal. Especially actors. They're just learning scripts written by other people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

biko wrote: »
    Clooney has Irish roots on both sides of the family apparently so it's probably a good idea to visit. Hopefully they'll have a good time.

No problem with them visiting. They're more than welcome of course, and I also hope they have a good time.

I just detest the manner in which some people here go all JFK over any successful yank with a great great great Irish ancestor when they do come here.

Graham Norton put it perfectly when he asked Tom Cruise what he did with his Certificate of Irish bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

FunLover18 wrote: »
    OMG OMG CLOONEY'S COMING!!

Would this make the news in other countries? Seriously, I have no idea but I find it hard to believe that it would or why it would. Can anyone explain it to me?

George Clooney (being one of the most recognisable men in the world) is bound to attract publicity wherever he goes.

Having lived abroad (Belgium, Holland, Hong Kong) I can attest that, yes, this probably would happen in other countries - If such a celebrity is known to be holidaying in a particular locale, the entertainment media will undoubtedly try to get an interview with that person and ask them their opinion of that place in a friendly way.

If there is a difference between Ireland and everywhere else, its that in other countries it's probably less likely people will see this phenomenon as a reason to disparage their own nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

And the celebrity will have to have a pint of Guinness.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

George Clooney (being one of the most recognisable men in the world) is bound to attract publicity wherever he goes in the world.

Having lived abroad (Belgium, Holland, Hong Kong) I can attest that, yes, this probably would happen in other countries - If such a celebrity is known to be holidaying in a particular locale, the entertainment media will undoubtedly try to get an interview with that person and ask them their opinion of that place in a friendly way.

If there is a difference between Ireland and everywhere else, its that in other countries it's probably less likely people will see this phenomenon as a reason to disparage their own nationality.

In fairness if it happens in other countries then so be it. I had always sort of assumed it was because we were so small, almost as though we're disparaging ourselves, I still think there's a bit of that to it tbh.

I'm not going to lie, such behaviour is utterly cringe worthy in my eyes and I feel slightly ashamed to be Irish when I see us fawning over these people or every time I see that big poster outside Moneygall with Obama drinking the pint but that's because I'm proud to be Irish and I think we're better than that sort of shít. I can't believe such feelings are isolated to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

He can f**k off if he thinks he's gettin the Bull's Field.

Advertisement