Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DPF removal Toyota

Options
  • 06-01-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm nearly 100% sure that my DPF is on the way out. I'm finding it difficult to find someone in Ireland that'll remove the dpf and map my ecu.
    It seems my only option in Ireland is to remove the dpf and replace it with an emulator. I've a friend that got this done in the same engine as mine but he is finding that there is flat spots in power when driving.
    I'm wondering has anyone a solution. Maybe there are better quality emulators out there. Is there anyone in the North that could do it?

Appreciate any help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What are you driving?

A toyota Auris 2.2 litre. Same engine as Lexus is220d.

Thanks. I spotted that thread. I contacted him there. Would love to know did car continue to run so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Whereabouts are you?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you?

I'm in Galway but i don't mind travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Might be worth giving this guy a call as i got him to code keys in the past and have found him sound.
    He's based on the old monivea road past Windsor on the left.
    Going by the add he mentions dpf removal on Lexus...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/caraccessories-for-sale/dpf-fap-removal-chip-tuning/4361058

He mentions deawoo as well to be fair!

Row wrote: »
    Might be worth giving this guy a call as i got him to code keys in the past and have found him sound.
    He's based on the old monivea road past Windsor on the left.
    Going by the add he mentions dpf removal on Lexus...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/caraccessories-for-sale/dpf-fap-removal-chip-tuning/4361058
    Thanks. Worth a look.

He mentions deawoo as well to be fair!

Maybe deawoo is polish for Daewoo...:)

• Advertisement

hanloj1 wrote: »
    I'm in Galway but i don't mind travelling.

I have a guy here in Fermoy, Co.Cork if that is not too far for you.?
    Might be worth a phone call.

Row wrote: »
    Maybe deawoo is polish for Daewoo...:)

Lol, not exactly known for their DPF problems either way

vectra wrote: »
    I have a guy here in Fermoy, Co.Cork if that is not too far for you.?
    Might be worth a phone call.

I'll take his number if you have it. Thanks.

hanloj1 wrote: »
    I'll take his number if you have it. Thanks.

Numbers at the top of the page

Ring Lukasz
    Tell I sent you ( Eugene )

http://fermoygarage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I suppose its worth pointing out that the NCT is likely to soon include a check for cars with DPF removed and many companies offering this service are warning of this.

See this.
    http://www.souhan.ie/exhausts/diesel-particulate-filters-dpf/78-diesel-particulate-filters.html

_Brian wrote: »
    I suppose its worth pointing out that the NCT is likely to soon include a check for cars with DPF removed and many companies offering this service are warning of this.

See this.
    http://www.souhan.ie/exhausts/diesel-particulate-filters-dpf/78-diesel-particulate-filters.html

I've heard this. I got quote from toyota and it's €2100 to replace filter.

_Brian wrote: »

See this.

LIKELY.

I would Like to know where they get this from as I know people working with the NCT and there is no word of it.
    I wonder where Souhans ( The sellers of replacement DPF's ) get their info from :cool:

At the moment Nct centres are not checking for removed dpf's but going by the below Rsa report on Euro 5 emissions regulations then theres a good chance there will be checks in the future.

In the Uk Mot centres are already checking for removed dpf's since 2013.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

If removing dpf's is allowed in the future then why weren't catalytic converters on petrol cars bypassed years ago...:confused:

The technical requirements take effect in two stages, Euro 5 emission limits will come into
    effect for new type approvals from 1st September 2009 (and new registrations from 1st January
    2011) and Euro 6 emission limits will apply for new type approvals from 1st September 2014
    (and new registrations from 1st September 2015).The main effect of Euro 5 is to reduce the
    emission of particulate matter from diesel cars from 25mg/km to 5mg/km. This will make the
    introduction of particle filters for diesel cars obligatory.
    Euro 6 limits will mainly reduce the
    emissions of nitrogen oxide from diesel cars further, from 180mg/km to 80mg/km.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rsa.ie%2FDocuments%2FVehicle%2520Std%2520Leg%2FEmissions%2520regs%2FEuro%25205%2520and%2520Euro%25206%2520Emissions%2520Reg%2520light%2520passengercommvehicles.pdf&ei=XcKuVOn0M6GE7gaslICwBw&usg=AFQjCNEE-wA01HzMLu3Nw7htaJNvtCS_UA&sig2=Q0_stBMTRQEQz-siz9yFdg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Will there be some other type of filter/cat to meet the euro 6 fitted to cars soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

If a DPF is removed and a piece of pipe put in, it will be very obvious what has happened. If the DPF is removed, cored out and replaced there is no visual change. The current UK check is visual, so a car with a cored-out DPF will be fine.

The only way to check if a DPF has been removed - other than visual - is to connect to the ECU and interrogate the map. There is no way in hell that this is going to happen any time soon. Imagine the repercussions of some ejit accessing the map and fecking it up.

• Advertisement

Why would they not be able to test the particle emissions as if the dpf was removed/hollowed out the emissions would be over limit.

ofcork wrote: »
    Why would they not be able to test the particle emissions as if the dpf was removed/hollowed out the emissions would be over limit.

The exhaust test is a smoke test, not a particle test. Emissions will be the same as before the DPF was removed.

I know it might seem obvious but they may get the machine/technology to test the particle emissions to meet the euro 5,how come it wasn't being done all along either here or in the uk.

ofcork wrote: »
    I know it might seem obvious but they may get the machine/technology to test the particle emissions to meet the euro 5,how come it wasn't being done all along either here or in the uk.

I can't answer that one, I'm afraid. All I know is that the test is for emissions and the test is the same throughout Europe.

Would the cost of equipment, training and extra time be justified for the relatively small amount of cars that have had a DPF removed? I think it's more likely that car companies will develop technology to replace DPF type exhaust cleaning.

Did you know that, in some (all?) DPF equipped cars, if you stop your engine during a regeneration - that you don't know is happening - the diesel being sent to the DPF to fire it up, is dumped into the engine oil contaminating it? This poses a huge risk to engines and turbos. Hardly an ideal solution.

If you're having trouble with your DPF, keep a close eye on your oil level. If it starts to rise you may be in trouble. The oil will need to be changed at the earliest possible opportunity.

Edit to add: I think diesel cars will be history soon. They will be forced out of production by new laws that they cannot hope to meet. Just my theory :)

Not sure how Mot/Nct centres would carry out checks for dpfs present,

Even with desent diagnostic equipment they could only view differential pressure across the filter and the soot % content that has accumulated in the filter......I guess these values can be mapped into the ecu to give a set value when the dpf has been deleted...

As for test equipment maybe they would introduce a "soot level output" measurment from the exhaust during the test but aswell as removed dpfs i would think a poor performing Dpf would also fail this test...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

ffrom what i heard 2016 will be a big change, euro6 will be introduced and dpf or ppf will be in petrol cars.
    either way the only place i can recommend is Coby Autos at the red cow in Dublin. ask for Joe. he knows his stuff.

Advertisement