Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are some of the "Plan B" actors and actresses working today?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I thought of this when I saw Monica Potter described as a "poor man's Julia Roberts" and you can kinda see why. Good at what she does but not exactly amazing. The kind of actress you would have hired in the 90s if your budget couldnt have stretched to Julia herself.

Monica-Potter-Con-Air.2.jpg

Also

The late Philip Seymour Hoffman instead of Robert De Niro.

Jeremy Renner when you cant afford Tom Cruise.

The Rock when Will Smith wont return your calls.

Amy Adams when Sandra Bullock wants too much money (she made $70 million from Gravity)

Who else are some of the "Plan B" actors and actresses working today and who is their comparative Plan A?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Jude law for a while seemed like he was always getting the roles tom cruise turned down in the early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bill Pullman is a poor man's Bill Paxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Plan A: Alec Baldwin
    Plan B: Billy Baldwin
    Plan C: Stephen Baldwin
    Plan D: Daniel Baldwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Richard Gere was the Plan B actor for many roles that John Travolta turned down in the 1980's/90's, including An Officer And A Gentleman, American Gigolo and Pretty Woman. Travolta turned the roles down. Gere accepted them and was made a superstar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Gere accepted them and was made a superstar.

Gere was never a superstar or more than a B list actor inho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Gere was never a superstar or more than a B list actor inho.

Maybe so, but back in the 1980's and early 90's, he was huge. Star has faded a bit now, maybe. But way back when, he was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I thought of this when I saw Monica Potter described as a "poor man's Juliet Roberts" and you can kinda see why. Good at what she does but not exactly amazing. The kind of actress you would have hired in the 90s if your budget couldnt have stretched to Juliet herself.

Also

Amy Adams when Sandra Bullock wants too much money (she made $70 million from Gravity)

Who else are some of the "Plan B" actors and actresses working today and who is their comparative Plan A?

Juliet Roberts :D
    Julia Roberts is a poor man's Juliet Roberts

A lot of those supposed Plan Bs look better than the As

fruvai wrote: »
    Juliet Roberts :D
    Julia Roberts is a poor man's Juliet Roberts

Ooops. Fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Well that's the end of the thread so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I really don't get the Philip Seymour Hoffman/De Niro one. Could you elaborate please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Colin Farrell got the part in Hart's War when Ed Norton turned it down for The Score.

Farrell got Minority Report when Matt Damon decided to do Bourne Identity instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

I thought of this when I saw Monica Potter described as a "poor man's Julia Roberts" and you can kinda see why. Good at what she does but not exactly amazing. The kind of actress you would have hired in the 90s if your budget couldnt have stretched to Julia herself.

Also

But.. but.. but those on the left are superior to those on the right. Confused.

MfMan wrote: »
    But.. but.. but those on the left are superior to those on the right. Confused.

That's purely a matter of opinion but one thing is for sure, they are cheaper ;)

The Rock is arguably a bigger star then Will Smith at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Monica Potter is Plan B ? Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a backup ? There is no justice in this world.

The Rock is arguably a bigger star then Will Smith at the moment

Except one charges $15 million per film and the other gets upto $100 million

Indeed but one has been in very successful films of late and the other not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jeremy Renner isn't a plan b actor anymore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jeremy Renner isn't a plan b actor anymore
    Indeed

*Edit* Plan B'd his last big lead role though no? Bourne something or other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'd argue Jeremy Renner needs to own a role soon to stop himself returning to Plan B. I haven't seen Kill The Messenger yet, but that looks like a good vehicle.

I'd argue Jeremy Renner needs to own a role soon to stop himself returning to Plan B. I haven't seen Kill The Messenger yet, but that looks like a good vehicle.

I would have thought The Hurt Locker took him away from "Plan B" but then after he did they seem to take any role offered to him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Plan B is a Plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Has Jeremy Renner had any decent roles besides The Hurt Locker?

Pretty much only know him from that and a small role as the arrow guy in the avengers

Pretty much only know him from that and a small role as the arrow guy in the avengers

I actually thought he was one of better things about the overrated American Hustle but had limited screen time

He did get another Oscar nomination for The Town

How is he in The Immigrant or is he in the way behind in the shadow of Joaquin Phoenix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

He had a very good role in "The Town". Excellent performance too.

Monica Potter is Plan B ? Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a backup ? There is no justice in this world.

Potter is amazing on the tv show Parenthood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Plan B is a Plan B.

He's the Eminem Plan B :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Skeet Ulrich is johnny depps plan B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I actually thought he was one of better things about the overrated American Hustle but had limited screen time

He did get another Oscar nomination for The Town

How is he in The Immigrant or is he in the way behind in the shadow of Joaquin Phoenix?

He's a great character in The Town (I wonder was it a demanding role for him though?)

Didn't think much of his turn in American Hustle, but that movie did very little for me anyway.

Jai Courtney is the Plan B for EVERY/ANY action star.

Advertisement