Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE fails another child again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well it reads as though things moved quickly once the school principal contacted the guards. I know it says SS weren't contactable but that is fairly normal tbh with the massive workload and reduced staff. Its really down to the parents, they failed them. How could the mother let them get that bad? Where was the father that he didn't even know they were in care? Social services do their best and its not fair that the default blame is laid at their door. Parents ultimately have to take care of their own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Chris___ wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/little-girl-had-so-much-headlice-her-head-was-moving-school-principal-tells-court-30882522.html

As for the "mother" I feel sorry for her she has a drug problem but she should be arrested brought back and tried for neglect. Also liable to cost associated with re-homing feeding and clothing these girls until their 18th birthday and forced to pay compensation to them for the conditions she put them in.

By all accounts they didn't fail the child .

Apparently the kids are doing very well now there in foster care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Its actually heartbreaking that such young kids have to go through this.

I really hope they get the care they deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im not understanding how the HSE are responsible here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

HSE fails another child again.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/little-girl-had-so-much-headlice-her-head-was-moving-school-principal-tells-court-30882522.html

As for the "mother" I feel sorry for her she has a drug problem but she should be arrested brought back and tried for neglect. Also liable to cost associated with re-homing feeding and clothing these girls until their 18th birthday and forced to pay compensation to them for the conditions she put them in.

The HSE is like looking into a septic tank on a clear winters night

You will see many stars of all shapes n sizes

Mostly sh!ts though surrounded by slime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They can never win anyway, they are either tearing families apart or leaving children in terrible situations. There will always be someone to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just what junkies need, a bill from the State that they wont pay so we can waste yet more resources chasing dead ends.

You can judge a society by how it treats its less fortunate members.

Ireland needs a proper, regulated, resourced state care programme that houses neglected children until they are 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Dont see how the HSE failed here either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im not understanding how the HSE are responsible here?

Upon receiving the report the HSE should have sent someone around to the parents home immediately be it a social worker or the Gardai to investigate it. The Principal shouldn't have had to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just what junkies need, a bill from the State that they wont pay so we can waste yet more resources chasing dead ends.

You can judge a society by how it treats its less fortunate members.

Ireland needs a proper, regulated, resourced state care programme that houses neglected children until they are 23.

If they can deduct the household charge from welfare payments then why not child support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I guess the headline

Children much better since being taken into HSE care

Just isn't sensational enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

HSE didn't fail here unlike many other cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

As much as I like kicking the public service from reading the article its a win rather than a fail for social services. From the article it seems the girl is now doing much better since been taken into care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Upon receiving the report the HSE should have sent someone around to the parents home immediately be it a social worker or the Gardai to investigate it. The Principal shouldn't have had to do this.

What report are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did the.principle call the HSE and not get a reply to a voice mail? Did she call the guards 5 minutes after calling the HSE or 5 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It amazes me how people can treat children like this, in them envoirments with no food , school books , lunch , head lice like this story. I don't think the HSE has failed here though , the children are now in care and from what it reads now doing very well, which is great. And the mother probably got what she wanted now that she has done a runner and doesn't have to even pretend to be a half arsed parent anymore.

It's unreal , I have a young child myself and I often worry if I'm being a good enough father to him. He's often all I think about , his future , his education , if for any reason I couldn't even provide the basics for him , food , shelter I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very sad case. God love these poor children.
    At least the Garda acted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The article mentions nothing about a report being sent to them, it says the social services, which is a different department to the HSE, didn't respond so they called the Gardai who acted.

Im all for hating on the inefficiencies of the HSE but they dont seem to have been to blame here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

eviltwin wrote: »
    What report are you referring to?

I take it that they meant report as in "when it was reported" to them ie the call to the SS.

To be fair, without the principal of the school following this up, I highly doubt they would have heard anything from the HSE/SS.

The Principal reported it to the HSE/SS and obv didnt hear anything back(either at all or at least in a timely manner where children and abuse/neglect are concerned).
    Luckily those girls had a caring principal who looked out for them.
    They could have had a principal who "overlooks" these things(believe me, it DOES happen sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The school principle is the hero of the story she/he did not give up until it was sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The HSE fails children on a massive level every day- paediatric inpatient and outpatient resources are appalling. I think they didn't do too badly here? With thanks to the principal.

Advertisement