Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting married just for JSA

Options
  • 06-01-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me! I'm 5 months pregnant and my boyfriend is working full time. We wanted to move in together soon enough and I found out i'd get no money from the social welfare if we moved in as we'd be cohabiting. The woman in citizens advice suggested we get married! I'm slightly confused about this part. Would I be using my boyfriends tax credits? Is this as simple as it sounds and has anyone done this before? How do we even go about organising a registry wedding? If we actually went down this route we wouldn't want anyone to know and it really would be an in, get it sorted and leave thing! We wouldn't be making a day out of it!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

What the lady in citizens advice was trying to tell you is that if you were a married couple then your spouse would be able to use your tax credits and would not pay as much tax on their earnings. Depending on his earnings when the baby arrives you may qualify for some payment from social welfare whether you are co-hab or married, this would depend on his earnings. Or he could apply for family income supplement if you do not qualify for jobseekers, family income supplement is also dependant on earnings. For a couple with one child the ceiling is €506.

Advertisement