Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At midnight tonight you can formally take down your decorations, not a second earlier

Options
  • 06-01-2015 3:59pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing rumours this year of the tree & decorations coming down around New Years Day or even earlier.
    Some people are even tripping over their smugness boasting about the fact.
    Please note that this carry on is not to be encouraged . . . . . I'll be watching

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Too late. All gone by Sunday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I avoided this important issue by not bothering to put a tree up.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

smash wrote: »

but but but . . . . . the little ones . . & the waiting for the feast day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Didnt put up any. Its such a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Didn't even put any up, that involved going into the spare room where everything is stored and getting lost in it.

Sometimes I still hear people calling for help when I walk by the room....

....which is funny because I don't remember storing people in there but, hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Only a week and we can put them up again....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Down since last Saturday, mea culpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I'm hearing rumours this year of the tree & decorations coming down around New Years Day or even earlier.
    Some people are even tripping over their smugness boasting about the fact.
    Please note that this carry on is not to be encouraged . . . . . I'll be watching

In actual fact, as I place my hand on my ever-present bible, Christmas time does not offically end until the end of the Sunday after the Feast of the Epiphany. Therefore, as ordinary time does not begin until next Monday, all decorations should stay in place until midnight this coming Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my brother's leaving his up for nextg year. has it in a room he never uses but window is visible to road. on the other hand, i take mine down day after stephens day, so nothing but bad luck here:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

As a response to winter and the winter solstice Christmas leaves a lot to be desired. We put the lights up and get all merry and happy for close on two months prior to the solstice and less than a week later, facing into the coldest parts of winter with little or no "stretch in the evening" we take em down, look miserable, start diets and give up the drink.

That's a ludicrous response to the existing miseries of mid winter. Too much excess followed by too much Puritanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

So we really should Januaryfest. The greatest fest of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,021 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Keeping them up for Christmas in Eastern Europe which is tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

smash wrote: »

Same. Could not bear to take them down in the middle of the first week of January misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Januaryfest sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What if I want to do it informally? My suit is at the dry cleaners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Shouldn't they be down *by* today, not today. Thought yesterday was the twelfth day of Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I took mine down yesterday >< am I doomed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Do I have to wear a suit and tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

Today is the last day of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Take them down the day after new years day. It's depressing coming home from work and the decorations are still up. Christmas is gone, let it go. Fúck, that poxy song is in my head now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

When I lived abroad a few years ago Xmas never lasted as long...its a few months since I saw the first Xmas decorations here, and they are only being taken down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have absolutely no religious interest in Christmas, it's purely an end of year relaxation session with sparkly lights and presents. But for some reason I really don't like the idea of putting up decorations on December 1st and taking them down on January 2nd. (or sooner) I actually champion the idea of adhering to the traditional 12 days thing, which is ridiculous. The people who pull everything down before December is out are probably being true to what the vast majority of us believe Christmas to be.
    I can't do it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

bjork wrote: »
    I took mine down yesterday >< am I doomed?

I took mine down today, then tripped over my dog and nearly fell into a wheelie bin, so I'd say yes, you are doomed.

Advertisement