Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking over lease in houseshare

Options
  • 06-01-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm moving to a new town and most of the places I see advertised lately are taking over leases from housemates who are leaving before the end of the lease for one reason or another. These places are rented as whole properties rather than by the room, so if I moved in and took someone's place I become jointly liable if for example the remaining housemate takes off and decides they don't wanna pay rent anymore. Keeping in mind these people would be strangers I'm a little apprehensive.

Have you guys any tips on things to do properly to avoid the pitfalls of doing this? How do deposits etc. work? Or should I go the owner occupier route (which I wiuld actually prefer although it would give me less security!)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Deal with the landlord. Too many times have I seen people paying deposits to the outgoing housemate and getting burned in the end. You need to be in contact with the landlord so you're officially on the lease and the landlord has your deposit. You have some modicum of protection then.

Owner occupier can suit people as it has the flexibility but as you pointed out less security of tenure and the fact that you'll always feel like you're intruding in someone else's house (maybe that's just me).

Advertisement