Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving apartment and viewings

Options
  • 06-01-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just gave one months notice to my landlord and now just got a text saying there will be people coming to view the apartment in a few days. I've a feeling this is going to become a common thing.

Am I within my rights as a tenant to object to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes and no. There's usually a clause in a lease that allows viewings to take place to facilitate getting another tenant. However, there should be adequate notice and the time should be agreed mutually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

vigos wrote: »
    Hi,

I just gave one months notice to my landlord and now just got a text saying there will be people coming to view the apartment in a few days. I've a feeling this is going to become a common thing.

Am I within my rights as a tenant to object to this?

Yep, you do not have to facilitate viewings at all. The only persons you are obliged to let into your home are your landlord for a scheduled inspection or the gardai on production of a warrant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My understanding is that the landlord has to give you 24 hours notice. Perhaps if the viewings are happening every couple of days then there is something you could argue about being entitled to enjoy your rental property without excessive interruption by your landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, you are within your rights to object to any viewings.

If you're reliant on this landlord for reference though, I would avoid being unnecessarily obstructive and rather provide the landlord with times that would be good for you (e.g. when you're at work).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, you are within your rights to object to any viewings.

If you're reliant on this landlord for reference though, I would avoid being unnecessarily obstructive and rather provide the landlord with times that would be good for you (e.g. when you're at work).

Or evening times when they're there if there's a concern about the security of their effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

I just checked the lease and it mentions viewings alright although I just got a text stating the date and time so was not really consulted. On the other hand it's only one viewing so far and they've given more than 48 hours notice and haven't had much problems with them at all over the duration of the lease. I just don't like the idea of other people coming in as well although it is an evening viewing.

I might just leave it for now once they keep them to a minimum and evening times.

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

vigos wrote: »
    I just checked the lease and it mentions viewings alright although I just got a text stating the date and time so was not really consulted. On the other hand it's only one viewing so far and they've given more than 48 hours notice and haven't had much problems with them at all over the duration of the lease. I just don't like the idea of other people coming in as well although it is an evening viewing.

I might just leave it for now once they keep them to a minimum and evening times.

Thanks for all the replies

Viewings aren't really that much of a n imposition as they would be over quite fast, however make sure they are at your convenience. Also, I doubt that having that in the lease would be enforceable. You have a right to quiet and private enjoyment of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I have never viewed an apartment that was not occupied by vacating tenants. Sometimes they have been there. Sometimes not.

If you've had a good landlord I think it is just common courtesy. Within reason, with appropriate notice, and at a convenient time, of course. People seem to get all hot under the collar about this, but they are hardly much of an imposition.

If you've had a bad LL, and they are suddenly wanting to do viewings, I might find that 'convenient' times are thin on the ground however.

Viewings aren't really that much of a n imposition as they would be over quite fast, however make sure they are at your convenience. Also, I doubt that having that in the lease would be enforceable. You have a right to quiet and private enjoyment of your home.

Possibly not, but if there's been an amicable relationship up to that point, why sour it and risk not getting a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Op, landlord should have consulted you regarding viewing times. If they want viewings at times not convenient to you, let the landlord know this. However, I would recommend providing times that are on with you as it demonstrates you are being reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

The relationship has been ok and pretty professional and wouldn't want to cause unnecessary friction, I think thats a good idea will call them and at least recommend them times that are ok with me

Advertisement