Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgently need help with boot leak

Options
  • 06-01-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi i have a g6 1999 toyota corolla, i went to use my spare tyre the other day when i noticed about two inches of water in the tyre well and i had a look around the car and i also noticed it in the drivers footwell any ideas as to what could be causing this as i want ti sort it before the car starts to rust any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi i have a g6 1999 toyota corolla, i went to use my spare tyre the other day when i noticed about two inches of water in the tyre well and i had a look around the car and i also noticed it in the drivers footwell any ideas as to what could be causing this as i want ti sort it before the car starts to rust any advice appreciated

check rubber seals around boot and windows also clear drain areas in engine bay and around boot.

New seals may be needed with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bikersteve2015

check rubber seals around boot and windows also clear drain areas in engine bay and around boot.

New seals may be needed with age.

Where in the engine bay should i be looking
    the seal looks ok in the boot should i replace it just to rule it out as a possibility.
    whenni was lookin this up j came across a few threads that said the seals in the tail lights might be gone know anythong about that ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

there is probably some rubber bungs in the sink for the spare wheel.

Its a 1999 car, remove the rubber bung and allow the water to drain out.

that or, spend more than the value of the car finding and sealing a leak, which will be a long process of trial and error

(speaking from experiance)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bikersteve2015

If i pull out that plug will it stop the boot from fillin up ya ??
    pa990 wrote: »
    there is probably some rubber bungs in the sink for the spare wheel.

Its a 1999 car, remove the rubber bung and allow the water to drain out.

that or, spend more than the value of the car finding and sealing a leak, which will be a long process of trial and error

(speaking from experiance)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Puncture a little hole in the rubber bung.

If you find the lights are letting in water try some silicone and look as said for dirt and blocked drains front and rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Dry the boot as best you can.
    Roll the carpet back or take it out of the boot, get some baby powder and dust all around the edge of the rear door seal.
    Get in the boot and get another person to gently hose the roof and around the door while you look for signs of ingress.
    If you can't see any then check when you open the door if the baby powder has been washed away.
    Check around the rear lights inside the car.
    Is there a sunroof? the drain channels can block inside and allow water to enter the rear of the car and slop over into the wheel well.
    Blow them clean with an airhose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Toyotas seem to be a disaster for this in my experience. I have two presently and they are both letting in water (really need to sort them out only for having the time). Every Toyota I've had has done the same for some reason.

Check seals and alignment of panels. I notice the bootlid in my Avensis is cocked up near the back window so guessing that maybe the problem there. See many others with the same issue. Don't think the MR2 will be to easy to remedy though:(

You could always get somebody to lie in the boot with a torch while you blast water in, not with a garden hose now rather a proper power washer. They may be able to spot the water seeping in.

Leaks can be a bit of a b!tch to get to the bottom of in cars though I think:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check seals and alignment of panels. I notice the bootlid in my Avensis is cocked up near the back window so guessing that maybe the problem there. See many others with the same issue. Don't think the MR2 will be to easy to remedy though:(
    :(
    Avensii leak where the back meets the side panels.
    In the two top corners of the boot you can see where the rear quarters are bonded to the bottom of the rear panel, Reseal those and it should stop a lot of leaks, also the rear lights can let in water, I use some silicone on the seals and bolt them back in.

Yarii (gen 1) also leak around the light cluster.

Advertisement