Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Enniskerry

Options
  • 06-01-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We're moving back from the US in the summer and considering Enniskerry, but we don't know anything about the schools. Any recommendations?

We have 2 girls, aged 9 and 6.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Moving to Wicklow forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arundel1

Thanks - that's a super useful thread.

Any ideas about schools in Enniskerry?
    Schooldays.ie says there are 2 primary: a small CofI and a medium-sized Catholic, and there's St. Gerard's nearby. Does anyone have any exeprience with these?

And what about secondary? Do people send their kids to Bray or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

The Church of Ireland School has moved slightly out of the village to a bigger newer premises. It's closer to the entrance of Powerscourt, and just across the road from the Protestant Church.

I understand the COI accepts non COI religious students also.

The Catholic Primary School, St Mary's and St Gerards, is slightly out of the village, right beside the Catholic Church, but there's no big hill to navigate so doesn't seem as far.
    The school also accepts non Catholic's.

In Enniskerry, religion isn't a big deal.
    The schools are at opposite ends of the village, so where you live seems to be more of a deciding factor, than religion.

The Churches do a lot of inter community work / masses.

Secondary Schools are a different matter.
    St Gerards secondary school is private.
    Closer to Bray really and not on a public bus route.

Number of other secondary Schools in Bray but I can't help you there I'm afraid. But most are served by the 185 bus from Enniskerry.

A Protestant Secondary school, Wesley, in Dundrum area is private and popular also. Number of other schools out that direction served by the 44 bus from Enniskerry, but can't help you too much on the Secondary School side of things.

Hope that's Helpful.

Edit: the Catholic school is bigger and has about twice more students.

there is also a third primary school, outside the village.

Curtlestown School is about 10 mies outside Enniskerry, up towards Glencree.
    It's very small and entrance criteria is strictly on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arundel1

Thanks ellejay - that's super helpful.

Either of the village schools sound fine if there's space. Is the COI one too small, or still a good school?

My husband thinks private school may be good - what do you know of St Gerard's? I heard it's a bit snobby...

We're tossing up between moving to Enniskerry and Greystones - which would you recommend?

Thanks

• Advertisement

that's funny i live in greystones!!!

No, the COI school isn't too small.
    Enniskerry is very different to Greysones. Very.

I'm probably over simplifying but Enniskerry is very much a village.
    Greystones is like a small town.

Greystones has great facilities most in walking distance.
    Eg, supermarkets, leisureclubs, the dart, number of buses to Dublin.
    Greystones isn't just greystones,I think it's like a triangle, Delgany and kilcoole would kind of be in the Greystones community also.

You say you're "returning" to Ireland, do you recall a soap call "Emmerdale Farm"
    well that's Enniskerry!!!
    Everyone knows everyone, small friendly village.

I'll pm you on the secondary school

Advertisement