Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASI

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Aviation Society Ireland

does anyone remember the above many years ago , they held meeting and slide shows and planned trips on the B747 to SNN back on the last flight .

Why is there nothing like this any more to promote the hobby and get the young involved.

Anyone ever think of starting it back up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cjk photos wrote: »
    Aviation Society Ireland

does anyone remember the above many years ago , they held meeting and slide shows and planned trips on the B747 to SNN back on the last flight .

Why is there nothing like this any more to promote the hobby and get the young involved.

vague memories of it as a kid. I think they used to also do aviation fairs where you could buy aircraft memorabilia such as models.. postcards and the likes.. im sure i was a member for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭cjk photos

Dont remember the fair but the meeting were in the hotel on Abbey st name is gone and before that City hall.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well the ability to buy online has made sale fair's redundant and I feel that forums like this have taken over the focus of the aviation hobby. (along with many other hobbies/interests)
    Here we can have a free wheeling discussion from the comfort of our home, workplace or even from onboard an aircraft these days! Easier to share photos and info in a timely manner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernsy

I think the ASI finished up about 7 or 8 years ago. They organised many good trips to airshows and airports to the UK. Most memorable trip for me was to knock on board the last EI 707. Tha aviation fair was started by them years ago and is still going today, think the first one was in the old upstairs bar in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

The ASI finished after the magazine turned to a shambles and the proceeds of one of the sales/fairs went missing under fairly dubious circumstances and the treasurer left around the same time. I think at one stage the January magazine would arrive in the post in September or October.

The monthly meeting used to be at Wynns hotel, some of the information learned at these meetings was great considering the limited use of the internet at the time, photosharing basically didn't exist and these guys would bring an amazing set of slides taken all over the world and show them off at the end of the meeting. The final committee worked very hard from memory to turn things around but it eventually folded. Nice group of lads overall, its a pity the politics over the missing money and the magazine ruined it. Running a society like that is really a fulltime thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

cjk photos wrote: »
    Aviation Society Ireland

I suppose the internet/Facebook/Forums etc have taken over the role these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I was a member back in the 80s. Loved the magazine that came out with b&w photos and interesting movements.

aviation.jpg

I used to look forward to the magazine arriving in the post every month. Only problem was they were always about 3 months behind .

yes but that would not happen today as you could send ebook or mag

That pic above brings back a lot of great memories

Lets start it back up and share the hobbie

I think "Irish Air Letter" does s great job now , and is always up to date with news and movements.

• Advertisement

not the same for me the meetings and trips were great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

From what i know there is a group trying to set up the Irish Aviation Foundation only problem they seem to be having is it's volunteer based and are trying to get a museum together along with funding.

Aimng to high museum do you know what that would cost a hundred times more then a group of people shareing info movements photos trips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

I was a member of the ASI back in the 90's..... was good while it lasted and they used to have meetings monthly I think in Wynns in Dublin and another place in Cork; cant remember where.
    I went to one meeting in Cork and one in Dublin; they where good to attend as they gave you the inside info on happenings on the aviation scene and the magazine was good too especially the photos even though they were in B&W.
    The net has almost made these societies redundant but I am still a member of the Irish Air Letter which I continue to get as the articles on airlines / airliners of the past are great to read and it ALWAYS arrives on time!!!!!

Had the pleasure of been on one of the ASI's trips to shannon too when I was old enough to be allowed to travel from Galway to Dublin on my own!!!!!!
    Picked up the L1011 Tristar Aer Lingus had in on wet lease from British Caledonian; we flew down to SNN, had a few hours on the ground (not airside) and then back to Dublin on a 737-500 I think that had operated in from Zurich or some other european city.....
    I can't recall if I positioned to Dub on the 73 or more likely my Dad picked me up in SNN.

Good times.....

Advertisement