Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS BENEFITS FOR LANDLORDS

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently renting in Dublin and have been in this house 5 years and am in receipt of rent allowance, I am well settled here and despite the odd job here and there i am on good terms with the landlord and am a good tenant.

However I am looking to join up to this RAS scheme and to be honest I'm afraid to ask my landlord if he will go along with it, so I'm trying to think of my approach so I can make it appealing to him and he wont refuse.

Any help from landlords and/or tenants would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In the current climate it's really not appealing to a landlord to agree to a rent 15% or so below market rate, even for a secure long term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RuasMum

Hi Athtrasna,

He isn't charging me the maximum rent as it is, do you think that would sway him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

RuasMum wrote: »
    Hi Athtrasna,

He isn't charging me the maximum rent as it is, do you think that would sway him??

It depends on his financial situation. As someone recently out of the landlord game I wouldn't have agreed to it and may instead have opted to raise the rent as you'd have drawn attention to market rates. Then again there was a mortgage on that house, maybe your landlord has his paid off and can afford not to charge market rate. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Benefit to the Landlord is that he gets paid directly by the Local Authority. This cuts the unnecessary, and often worrisome, step where the tenant first receives the allowance and then is expected to pass it on to the landlord.

If he's been happy with the situation for the past 5 years and has no intention of doing anything with the property then he might be amicable to the idea. I'd be fine with it if it didn't cause me much hassle.

Advertisement