Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else do this ?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

when you see a certain post in a thread and then go through that posters history of previous posts to get a feel for their personality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

That's what it's there for isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Some of us might be different IRL. Online alter ego, ya know yourself.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Nope, cos that would be creepy.

>_>

<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yep, it's how I picked my boyfriend :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

All the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

when im angry i tend to come on this website and let rip. channel my frustrations into it. so its not a good barommeter of whose who. also you get time to answer questions unlike a face to face conversation which us all look like geniuses, angry geniuses

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just make sure invisible mode is on so your name doesn't show up on the recent visitors thing on their page.

Not that I would know, I don't stalk people :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

LizT wrote: »
    Just make sure invisible mode is on so your name doesn't show up on the recent visitors thing on their page.

Not that I would know, I don't stalk people :)

we are all voyeurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I wish there was a sarcasm font.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Robsweezie wrote: »
    when you see a certain post in a thread and then go through that posters history of previous posts to get a feel for their personality?

An argument should stand up on its own merits.

People who find themselves stumped with my arguments in the past have resorted to trying to dig up posts of mine out of context to discredit me. It's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The couple of times I've done it was to see if the person was serious or not judging by previous posts.To check personality sounds off for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hmmm… that's a bit stalkerish :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Yes, but only to see if they have posted pictures of themselves. I'm doing a scrapbook and still have a few pages to fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

what I mean by this if I see a post that's particularly sarcastic,colourful, or hostile, offensive or aggressive, I might look at that persons backlog just to see if they are like that all the time, or are they nicer in other threads than they appeared in said thread.

I caught a glimpse of a particularly hostile post from a user who had been yellow carded in a previous thread for personal abuse, which didn't surprise me.

I assure you its not for stalking purposes, i've no vetted interest in anyone on this site..... *shudders*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I want to erase half of my posts as I was ranting, venting and dribbling diatribe throughout. Wouldn't say they are an indication of me as a person plus this is the internet and most posts are piss takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Truthfully not interested enough in anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah, I have a hard time enough remembering who posted what in any current thread I'd be in. All that interests me really is addressing the content of a post, rather than the poster who posts it.

People are all sorts of contradictions so I wouldn't think there's much insight into what kind of person they are to be gained from their previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

LizT wrote: »
    I wish there was a sarcasm font.
    Nah. If you have to flag it, it defeats the purpose.

Similarly with smileys or LOLs to indicate that you are attempting humour. It's less likely to be funny if you say "this post is funny".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

If I notice someone being really funny I'll have a gawk at their most thanked posts for a laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

mike_ie wrote:
    Nope, cos that would be creepy.

oh I'm on your one now, watch out robs about :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why on earth would anyone check anyone's post-history other than their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

catallus wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone check anyone's post-history other than their own?

Because some posters are very inconsistent!!! A quick check of their post history can determining if they're taking the piss or not. Not looking at any posters in particular *cough* your good self *cough*. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Btw, hope you feel better soon and I'm sure you'll sort out that matter with your sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I went through the list of threads that I had started and realised I came across as a complete weirdo. Then I started a thread about signs that people are weirdos.

I always go through posts of people that have been banned or closed their accounts. I want to know why!
    That and there are a few posters that I actually like/find funny so I go through theirs to see what else they get up to :o

I have a very sad existence. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Actually going through the posts is too much effort, I just scan the forums they've posted in until I can find one to dismiss them with. One post is enough.

"GAA?! Sure they're all b*stards, of course he's wrong!"
    "Pfft, Bargain Alerts, this cheapskate wouldn't know anything about anything, too busy being cheap, cheapskate!"
    "Beer guts and receding hairlines... I've no interest in listening to the opinion of a bleak futuristic version of myself, thank you very much"

I'm very aware that every account I've ever had here has had more than enough posts on the pro wrestling forum for an absolute ton of people to completely dismiss me in the exact same way

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Spookyspook

Haha funny...yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 daukey34

Stalker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Nope

I've used advanced search to find posts I remember people have made that contradicts what they are saying, takes all of two seconds, my personal advice is never do it too a female poster as the stalker card gets pulled, doesn't seem to happen the other times I've done it though.
    I prefer my actual stalking to happen in real life anyway, if your not spending hours hiding in a bush in the cold your not showing how much you value them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I don't do this for fear they may think I am actually interested in them, and then they may send me a friends request and it would become all awkward :o and stuff....

Advertisement