Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat LCVP Question

Options
  • 05-01-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey All,

I'm repeating the LC in Rathmines this year, and I was just looking up information on repeating LCVP again this year, and I noticed something that may be a problem for me.

I dropped Irish and English as I hated both but passed them anyway, and took up Economics so I'd have 6 subjects, however on the SEC website the Programme Requirements state :

"as an LCVP student, you must take a minimum of five Leaving Certificate Subjects (at Higher, Ordinary or Foundation Level) including Irish".

What can I do regarding the Irish situation ? I'm not too pushed in having LCVP again this year but I'm trying to have as much in my arsenal for this year.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to have the correct combination of approved subjects in order to do LCVP. It's not available in all schools for that reason. If you won't have Irish in your exam, you can't do LCVP. You could always take it at a lower level than before, but make sure your subject combination is a permissible one.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Theoretically you are meant to have all the required subjects and schools cannot enroll you initially if you don't. Their systems will return an error in the September or October returns they send to the department. But once enrolled there is no system of checking as far as I'm aware. I know of cases of students taking a subject outside of school to meet the requirements, dropping it along the way and still sitting the exam (not advisable).
    We have had students in the past do LCVP without Irish. They may be down on our system as having it I'm not sure, but if there is a problem in school register for Irish and just don't go in to the exam.
    As a repeat candidate you won't be able to redo the portfolio section of the LCVP, your mark in that will be the same as last year. You will get to take the written exam again.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I hadn't noticed this but I'm the exact same as you (dropped Irish, took up economics). Nobody at my school has said anything to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AMG999222

Year head called the SEC and they said there was no problem, as I've already "matriculated" in Irish, she also commented that the number one subject to be dropped by repeat candidates is Irish and they've never had a problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chloe15

I just realised there that I've the same problem! Career guidance teacher never told me when I chose LCVP that I needed to meet the requirements which I already did last year and passed, so do I now have to sit irish and another language again in june?

• Advertisement
Advertisement