Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Bandsaw

Options
  • 05-01-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I am currently looking to purchase a big old band saw. I am finding it very difficult to source these in Ireland. I would be delighted if someone could help me out. The type of band saw I am looking for would be like the J.A. Fay & Egan Co. 950 Lightning or similar style. I also would not mind if a small bit of restoration is required! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will struggle to find one in Ireland due to the historically low level of cabinetmaking in this country.
    I would think a company like Scott and Sergeant in the UK would help.
    I can't think of many advantages apart from a wide throat. Most weigh a ton, have 3 phase motors and are unbraked. You would probably need to get blades custom made.
    Let us know if you get one and best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eoindonn

Thanks a million for your reply. I love the look of the old style band saws and would like to restore it to original colour etc. It's a pity they are so scarce in Ireland. Hopefully one might pop up for the right price! I would only really consider one with a brake like the Wadkin DR 30" but having said that I suppose I can't be too fussy. Thanks again for your post.

Kind regards,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

This any good

Hi there. It looks nice alright. Where are you based? Can you tell me the band of bandsaw and perhaps the size of the wheels?
    Kind regards,
    Eoin.

Hi there. It looks nice alright. Where are you based? Can you tell me the band of bandsaw and perhaps the size of the wheels?
    Kind regards,
    Eoin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement