Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving from UK to Ireland - Importing my car

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of help if anyone can oblige? I have been living in the UK for 4 years and have had my car almost 3 years. I have been offered a new job back in Ireland so I am moving home and want to bring my car. Can anyone help with a clear step by step as to what I need to know and do to register. Lets start from the point that I know absolutely nothing about cars...really! Here is what I do know:

- I must register with an NCT centre within 7 days of bringing the car into the country.
    - As I have owned the car for 6 months or more, I am eligible for a VRT exemption. (??)

Other than that, Im pretty clueless!
    Do I need to fill in a Vehicle Purchase Details Form even though I have owned the car for 3 years and have not bought it for the purpose of import? I assume I do and I am a non authorised person as a private owner?
    Can I apply for the VRT exemption before I leave the UK so that it arrives before the registration inspection and if so, how do I go about this? Or do I register the car at the NCT centre and pay the VRT and then apply for a refund?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You apply for the exemption before you come as I recall. Check out the Revenue Commisioners website.

You can send off the exported slip on the V5C if you want but you'll need the rest of it to re-register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

Thanks for the response Corktina. Ive been reading various sections of Revenue website and the leaflet regarding transfer of revenue is most applicable (Cant post link as Im a new user)

However, this seems more targeted to new residents moving to Ireland for the first time rather than someone moving back to Ireland. I presume its the correct form so will fill it in anyway. It says that I must apply within seven days of arriving in the state but doesnt indicate if I can apply ahead of that time.

They make it deliberately complicated to apply for exemptions to try and get tax revenue!

Advertisement