Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Bar/ Nightclub

Options
  • 05-01-2015 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I am looking for a decent late bar or night club in Cork City for a stag in February. Any recommendations? Somewhere that would be decent for lads in their 30s and preferably somewhere that we could reserve a table or section.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If its a stag , just go to reardons / soho

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Soho or the Bodega.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Cheers lads.... was hoping to avoid the traditional stag places if possible.... are these the equivalent of temple bar in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I Pm'd you there Gafferino and recommended the Deep South, should get another few votes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

I noticed someone suggested The Bodega, I was at a party there over Christmas upstairs, and I for one did not find it in any way an enjoyable or comfortable experience. They open it up (the "private party" section) to everyone at 11, and then the music starts downstairs. The one thing I couldnt understand was the way everyone out on the floor had a glass in their hand while dancing. Not conducive at all to a good clubbing experience. Also, due to the fact that everyone had a glass in their hand, (real glass, not plastic) the bouncers were lined up all over the place eyeballing everyone. Not at all comfortable. Throw in the fact that the Heineken was €5.35 and was awful, they didnt have branded glassware, so everyone was getting their pints mixed up, and the general grotty appearance and the fact that it is a restaurant until 11 and it's best avoided.

This is just my honest experience of the place, I am sure many other people and those associated with the venue will contradict the above sentiments, but that is just how it was on the night that I went there over Christmas. Obviously as part of a chain with an active digital marketing department I would expect them to dispute everything I've said, but take it from me, that was just my experience there on one night.

I'm sure it's great every other time, I'm sure the hand dryers in the bathrooms work, and I'm sure the quality of the beers are superb. Just not THAT night........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The Sextant and Goldbergs are both good spots, and are quite near each other, with the legendary Idle Hour in between. A bit off the beaten track though, but good for atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was at a stag in Voodoo recently, roped off private section and party organizer taking care of the lads all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd recommend Voodoo or SoHo. The Bodega is a lovely venue but gone downhill recently, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Another one for Vodoo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

At least Cork is getting back to normal now. I have a strong dislike of going out over the Christmas as the pubs and clubs are full of people who are back and to be nice about it most of them are arseholes and failed sons and daughters of the Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

At least Cork is getting back to normal now. I have a strong dislike of going out over the Christmas as the pubs and clubs are full of people who are back and to be nice about it most of them are arseholes and failed sons and daughters of the Tiger.

That's sort of the opposite of what being nice means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

tailgunner wrote: »
    That's sort of the opposite of what being nice means.

The last five years Christmas in my local has been ruined over the amount of none regulars who invade the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The last five years Christmas in my local has been ruined over the amount of none regulars who invade the bar.

Yeah but they're not all returned home for the Christmas.
    Just gangs of people who, individually are probably fine, but dress them up in Christmas jumpers, put them in a gang hell bent on drinking to excess and the vast majority of them turn into ignorant fcukwits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Just popped in to say that every place mentioned here so far is awful.

For late bars, the Vicarstown, BDSM, The Crane and The Slate are usually pleasant enough. Not too overpriced, often playing good music, nice staff, tolerable clientèle. The trick is to head out on the nights where the masses will be at home, if at all possible.

Bodega is basically the same as Havanas, Cubins (is that still open?), full of people who are too old for The Holy Cow but are willing to pay for the 'privilege' of being charged through the teeth for awful music, Diageo drinks and a standing spot in an overcrowded bar.

Voodoo is just The Brog 2.0, except the dancefloor is pretty bangin'. If you're taking class As it's actually quite good. I went there when it first opened though, they had promotions with free entry. That never happens anymore and I'm absolutely not paying for admittance to a place that average.

Soho, free entry most of the time but full of yuppies and basically 0 craic if you're not one of the sort of people who reads Hello magazine and cares about the royal family. They're invariably playing terrible music and their drink selection is meagre and again, expensive. I'm just trying to help people avoid the Christmas jumper-adorned cretins year-'round.

Did I miss anything? There's a whole block's worth of places to avoid along Washington St too. I couldn't give you the specifics because I'd sooner eat a bag of d1cks than go within fifty feet of them. I'm a professional bar attender, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Chloris wrote: »

Did I miss anything?

Pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chloris wrote: »
    Just popped in to say that every place mentioned here so far is awful.

For late bars, the Vicarstown, BDSM, The Crane and The Slate are usually pleasant enough. Not too overpriced, often playing good music, nice staff, tolerable clientèle. The trick is to head out on the nights where the masses will be at home, if at all possible.

Bodega is basically the same as Havanas, Cubins (is that still open?), full of people who are too old for The Holy Cow but are willing to pay for the 'privilege' of being charged through the teeth for awful music, Diageo drinks and a standing spot in an overcrowded bar.

Voodoo is just The Brog 2.0, except the dancefloor is pretty bangin'. If you're taking class As it's actually quite good. I went there when it first opened though, they had promotions with free entry. That never happens anymore and I'm absolutely not paying for admittance to a place that average.

Soho, free entry most of the time but full of yuppies and basically 0 craic if you're not one of the sort of people who reads Hello magazine and cares about the royal family. They're invariably playing terrible music and their drink selection is meagre and again, expensive. I'm just trying to help people avoid the Christmas jumper-adorned cretins year-'round.

Did I miss anything? There's a whole block's worth of places to avoid along Washington St too. I couldn't give you the specifics because I'd sooner eat a bag of d1cks than go within fifty feet of them. I'm a professional bar attender, by the way.

You probably named 4 of the most expensive bars in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

rob316 wrote: »
    You probably named 4 of the most expensive bars in the city.

Are you mad? that poster is a professional don't you know.
    I found their post to be tremendously well informed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Why the hell would anyone want to go to soho, zero craic. Just stand there and look your best. And overpriced.

If ye are a messy crowd - Reardens.

If ye are a crowd that want to drink and chat but not go wild. Crane Lane.

Feck the nightclubs, terrible scene.

Most other bars are too small and narrow for a stag, you want a bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

To be honest, I'd see cork as a bad place for a stag.

But if you are gonna go anywhere I'd advise getting onto them in advance places like voodoo inexplicably turn away groups of lads regardless of age a fair bit. There is nowhere in cork I'd recommend for a stag really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement