Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does higher bhp mean lower mpg

Options
  • 05-01-2015 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

This is probably a stupid question, but .......
    I am looking at Ford Galaxy cars second hand.
    I am aiming for a 2L TDCi. Most are 140bhp, but i have seen one that is better in respect of mileage and price, but it is 163 bhp.

I presume that this means that it gives quicker acceleration than the 140 bhp model, but does it also mean that it will give lower mpg. A 2L and a heavy car will already be thirsty, so i don't want to make it any thirstier than it needs to be!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

What year op?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

I am sure it is obvious, but just in case, this is a family car.
    It will be mainly used for school runs etc. and for my wife to go to work.
    There will be ~ monthly long trips home to see grandparents (Wexford - Galway), and we will probably take it on holidays the odd time e.g., to France or the UK.

I figure that the 1.6L is much too small for a big bus like the Galaxy, so i am willing to go with the 2L, but i am not looking for a high performance, overtake-6-cars-at-a-time car.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

CarPark2 wrote: »
    I am sure it is obvious, but just in case, this is a family car.
    It will be mainly used for school runs etc. and for my wife to go to work.
    There will be ~ monthly long trips home to see grandparents (Wexford - Galway), and we will probably take it on holidays the odd time e.g., to France or the UK.

I figure that the 1.6L is much too small for a big bus like the Galaxy, so i am willing to go with the 2L, but i am not looking for a high performance, overtake-6-cars-at-a-time car.

In the real world their will be little if any difference between those engines in fuel consumption .
    Go for history / mileage and spec,

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

My friends 530d bm only uses 15 euro to dublin and back to waterford so, Bigger engine cars aren't all that bad, It's the tax system that messes it up in this country..

Lets say if you do go for the 163bhp Galaxy, You can get remaps for them which give them more bhp, better fuel efficency etc and you can get these in one map, Think it costs around 200 euro.. But to be honest i wouldn't be worried about it there's not much bhp in the difference, The 163bhp would use less then the 140bhp as it has more power to pull the big heavy body compared to the 140bhp :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The 2.0 in the Galaxy is quite fuel efficient as it is. Most, if I'm not mistaken, are 140bhp, but tbh, you aren't going to suffer an awful lot in regards to mpg with the 163bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Daaryl wrote: »
    My friends 530d bm only uses 15 euro to dublin and back to waterford so, Bigger engine cars aren't all that bad, It's the tax system that messes it up in this country..

so his 530d is doing 75mpg? nearly twice what B.M.W. said it was capable of when new... impressive.

i'd go for the higher bhp also OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

so his 530d is doing 75mpg? nearly twice what B.M.W. said it was capable of when new... impressive.

Meant to say back from dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

It's "chipped" so it goes faster and it uses less daysul lawwd :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement