Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tivoli as place to live?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Moving back to Cork after nearly 20 years since lived there as a student. My wife has spotted a nice property in Tivoli but we don't know much about the area. There doesn't seem much in the line of shops/pubs and not sure about public transport either. We have a young family so access to schools important too.
    Any views/thoughts welcomed,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I lived there and found it quiet and good access for all over the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's quiet. But very hilly, so you'd want to watch that in bad weather. Public transport to and from Tivoli isn't great either.

Is it the Northside you're looking to go, OP? In that case probably Ballyvolane, Montenotte, Dillon's Cross would be areas to look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1400678873-221.pdf

Buses have improved somewhat. generally every 30 mins to from bus station on the 221 glanmire route.

queit area, very hilly though and not sure if it's an area with a lot of families anymore.

nearest schools would be in St Lukes and Mayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's quiet. But very hilly, so you'd want to watch that in bad weather. Public transport to and from Tivoli isn't great either.

Is it the Northside you're looking to go, OP? In that case probably Ballyvolane, Montenotte, Dillon's Cross would be areas to look in.

Depends what part of Tivoli - the number 8 bus is fairly regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jjmacf

Thanks for the comments so far guys, quite helpful. I will look into the public transport a bit more too via the link. It does seem quiet, a bit 'remote' with little in the area apart from houses. So a bit 'soulless' but Mrs has found her 'wanna have' house so if negotiations go OK might give it a try and see. We can always move again!

• Advertisement

jjmacf wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments so far guys, quite helpful. I will look into the public transport a bit more too via the link. It does seem quiet, a bit 'remote' with little in the area apart from houses. So a bit 'soulless' but Mrs has found her 'wanna have' house so if negotiations go OK might give it a try and see. We can always move again!

Tivoli is a fairly big area - it's a bit vague as to which areas would be described as Tivoli also - Silversprings and Tivoli can be in the one address sometimes depending where you are. I wouldn't say it's soulless though! I live in Silversprings but it could also be classed as Tivoli and yeah you would have to drive to nearest big supermarket but it's a pretty nice area.

I'm thinking though that the house could be up off the dual carriageway somewhere between Silversprings and Glanmire (not trying to get it out of you!), which is fairly quiet alright and you would definitely need to drive most places there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jjmacf

If any help with advice we're looking in the above area.

jjmacf wrote: »
    If any help with advice we're looking in the above area.

Well if it is where I said it might be, then it would be pretty quiet - there are no neighbours really, none that you could walk to anyway (all the houses are up a big hill off the dual carriageway), and there are no shops etc. - you'd have to drive to all these places, but if you're ok with that then it wouldn't be a problem - plenty of supermarkets etc within a 10 minute drive - either Glanmire or Mayfield/Ballyvolane. As for buses, they wouldn't be as frequent in that area - as I'd imagine the bus stops along the lower road are for buses coming from Glanmire/East Cork (they're not city buses) so not as frequent.

The number 8 bus stops just above the Garda station in Mayfield (which is the first left at the top of the hill coming up from Silversprings hotel) - so that's not exactly convenient either, even though it is more frequent.

But, like I said, if you're going to be mainly driving everywhere then it shouldn't be a problem and it is a nice area but it wouldn't be for you if you want to be surrounded by a "community" as it were - as in, an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

leahyl wrote: »
    but it wouldn't be for you if you want to be surrounded by a "community" as it were - as in, an estate.

Think op was saying that it is an estate - Tivoli Estate, the 'above area' meaning the title above that post rather than the area you mentioned.

BobCobb wrote: »
    Think op was saying that it is an estate - Tivoli Estate, the 'above area' meaning the title above that post rather than the area you mentioned.

Oops ok! Well sorry for all that info then! Can't see the title you speak of on my phone...

• Advertisement
Advertisement