Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on budget surround sound system.

Options
  • 04-01-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I'm looking to put together a surround sound system for around €200. My current setup is just my Sony 40" TV and Minix Neo X8-H (Android TV box), ditched sky a few months ago.

The Minix has an optical SPDIF output.

I'd like a 5.1 system but i would also consider a soundbar if thats what you would recommend.

I've looked into it a small bit and I've found a few speaker systems that I like but it seems you need an av receiver to use them. I was wondering if there are any speaker systems out there that don't need the av receiver as I only use one device and wont have much use for the av receiver.
    I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

podgemk wrote: »
    I'm looking to put together a surround sound system for around €200. My current setup is just my Sony 40" TV and Minix Neo X8-H (Android TV box), ditched sky a few months ago.

The Minix has an optical SPDIF output.

I'd like a 5.1 system but i would also consider a soundbar if thats what you would recommend.

I've looked into it a small bit and I've found a few speaker systems that I like but it seems you need an av receiver to use them. I was wondering if there are any speaker systems out there that don't need the av receiver as I only use one device and wont have much use for the av receiver.
    I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sadly there are few active speakers which are 5.1, logitech Z series come to mind, but are about €400 new.
    The problem is the optical input, most entry level Speakers / Bar's don't have them.
    You might be better looking for a 2nd hand av amp + speakers on Adverts.ie or similar if your working from a budget.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

aye quality counts and i have these on a wooden floor excellent in my extension.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=1588

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

€200 is too low for 5.1 speakers and an av reciever, unless you go second hand.
    If you up your budget to €450 i'd strongly recommend 5.1 speakers + av reciever

soundbars are handy to set up (plug everything you watch into the telly then plug the telly into the soundbar) plus no speakers to wire up. But sound quality nothing like 5.1 set up above. eg soundbar

blu ray 5.1 usually alot cheaper but ****e speakers/ sound quality and usually very limited inputs. don't buy.
    but if you want this one looks good

if in the future you plan on spending big money for a surround sound set up , a general rule of thumb is to spend 3 times more on speakers than the price of the reciever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭greasepalm

donegal. wrote: »
    if in the future you plan on spending big money for a surround sound set up , a general rule of thumb is to spend 3 times more on speakers than the price of the reciever.

never heard that before but i think i exceeded 3 times:eek: when i heard the quality blasting out from it when harvey norman first opened in carrickmines:D that was a dangerous place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

akaSol wrote: »
    The problem is the optical input, most entry level Speakers / Bar's don't have them.

>Sol

Just realised the Tv has an RCA audio output. Would that work if I connect the android box to the tv via hdmi and them connect the TV to an AV receiver that has RCA input?

podgemk wrote: »
    Just realised the Tv has an RCA audio output. Would that work if I connect the android box to the tv via hdmi and them connect the TV to an AV receiver that has RCA input?

the rca will only give you stereo not 5.1.

with av recievers you plug everything into the reciever then connect the reviever to the tv.

with your budget a soundbar will have an optical input so no need for rca

Advertisement