Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to pick up a new subject at this stage of sixth year?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey, as you have probably read from the title im seeing if anyone has advice if i can pick up a subject like lcvp or something or of anyone else has suggestions.

The reason im asking this is because i was doing applied maths and honours maths and realised that i wasn't able to cope with the subjects in terms of ability so i dropped to OL maths and dropped applied maths. Now i am left with 5 honours subject and 2 pass and so just want to know if i can boost my points in a new subject or something. Its not the end of the world as im not going for 600 points but im just enquiring.
    Any advice would be appreciated and yeah thats my life story pretty much....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

nathan99 wrote: »
    Hey, as you have probably read from the title im seeing if anyone has advice if i can pick up a subject like lcvp or something or of anyone else has suggestions.

The reason im asking this is because i was doing applied maths and honours maths and realised that i wasn't able to cope with the subjects in terms of ability so i dropped to OL maths and dropped applied maths. Now i am left with 5 honours subject and 2 pass and so just want to know if i can boost my points in a new subject or something. Its not the end of the world as im not going for 600 points but im just enquiring.
    Any advice would be appreciated and yeah thats my life story pretty much....

It's not really advisable to pick a new subject at this stage. You'd be better off just focussing on all your subjects rather than trying to learn a whole new course.

Now, you're going to get people on here going "I picked up Bio/Economics/Business 12 weeks before the exams and came out with an A1". This happens but is very rare. Just put the effort you would put into an extra into your existing ones and you'll get the grades.

LCVP can only be taken if you have a combination of certain subjects. I don't know them off but they're available on the SEC website!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Absolutely no chance, not even a possibility. The next few months will be too hectic. You will have projects and orals and will have no time to cover a 2 year course in 6 months.

However, what is more realistic is trying to stick with Honours Maths. What kind of grades were you getting in it? They absolutely throw marks at you in the LC if you make an attempt even if you think it's rubbish. If you get a HD3, that's worth 70 points, 10 more than an OA1.

A new subject definitely isn't a possibility. The volume of work you would have to put in would be detrimental to your other subjects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't just pick up LCVP any time you want.

Advertisement